Sad That After 5 Years FLO Cant't Get Right - Still 4 Years To GO

On 8/10/2021 at 10:24 PM, rjohn76 said:

One of the contractors that's worked for Flo this season shared a little insight on FB into some of the audio issues this season.

First, as many would expect, Flo is hiring subcontractors that are not familiar with the marching arts activity.  They know how to set up mics and mix the incoming audio, but they legit don't fully understand what the final output should ideally sound like.  That's not an excuse, just a reality of the situation.

Second, the audio setup that they're using will take up to 6 direct outputs from the corps board.  Flo is at the mercy of what the corps send them via those 6 outputs.  It takes several shows to get that ironed out.  With it being an abbreviated season, there's less opportunities to get it right and fine tune things.  And again, this process is dependent on the audio engineers having a better understanding of what the final output should sound like.

Last, this person did suggest reaching out to Flo and be specific that they hire audio engineers that know/understand the activity.

This isn't rocket surgery. Flo has a new excuse every year and DCI gets clowned.    

On 8/10/2021 at 3:57 PM, Dansize said:

I sent a complaint to Flo, outlining my frustration with their inconsistency from show to show.  They got back to me fast and wanted me to cite examples of problems. Which I did. Easy enough.  As I told them, I don't want to cancel or get a refund (yet).  I just want qualified attention to the problem and a cure put in place so that I can be assured that the quality is reasonable before the shows this weekend.

Similar complaints also sent to DCI.

Not sure I really expect a miracle.  But it felt better telling them that the ability to shoot/broadcast a car race or track event is different than what is needed with respect to musical performances.  

I got my reply back from DCI. They said that they would pass my comments on to Flo. 

Sigh. 

I'd just like them to recognize that their contracted vendor is doing them no favors in successfully promoting the activity and is actually doing harm to their loyal fans. Fewer subscribers means progressively less revenue. 

23 hours ago, tommynev said:

I've sent them detailed messages, multiple links of people complaining about the issues and even a short clip of The Cavaliers from Cedarsburg. They have never apologized, say they will pass on the information and just always tell me to let them know if there are any other issues. One time they tried to say it was my fault because I wasn't using the app (which I explained to them I was). Bottom line is they don't care.

their Facebook page has been brutal the last week, and not one comment from anyone at Flo.

my experience is if they arent blaming you and whatever technology you're using, they just say nothing

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

Several of the people involved with Flo have DCI experience, and I've gotten the vibe that those people genuinely care about the end presentation.  But my understanding is they have to work within the larger FloSports matrix.  So if FloSports has a subcontractor they've used in Wisconsin to broadcast sprint car racing at Angell Park Speedway in Sun Prairie, that subcontractor might get the nod to do the Wisconsin drum corps shows as well just based on the pre-existing business relationship.  That would seemingly make sense from a cost-savings business perspective, but doesn't necessarily result in the best quality being put forth on the FloMarching side.

have they ever thought of ....gasp.....educating them?

23 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

There's people there that care, but they're small cogs in a larger machine that broadcasts over 200,000 sporting events each year.  My guess is there's only so much they can do.  However, I get the vibe that they may be trying to make a case for better help/subcontractors by asking fans to specifically ask for audio engineers with corps/marching arts experience.  It's easier to build a case with a plethora of specific customer requests vs. the normal "Flo Sucks" emails that they're accustomed to getting.  

i have watched some of their sports products...i wouldn't rave about them either

19 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Man was I unclear…. What did DCI sell for 2019 season? That’s what I meant by the past 😫

cd's and dvd's tho the dvd's have some licensing related edits 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Good insight, and this is kind of what I figured. I think Flo needs to stop using those 6 direct inputs from the corps' mixing boards. That is a mistake. They are just pulling in things like mallets, synths, effects, voice, solos and other pit instruments into the direct mix, yet their field mics will also pull in those sounds.

They need to move the field mics off of the track and into the stands. They just have to figure out the best way to do this depending on the stadium. Some stadiums have places on the outside of the press box area where mics can be placed, and although you deal with audience noise, frankly you want to get some of that because you want to hear how the crowd is reacting to the corps. If the mics are placed high enough above the crowd then you should get the FULL sound coming from the field.  Ideally you want to record the sound that is being produced from about 25 yards away from the field and about 30 feet up. This way if the drum corps on the field has balances issues or the pit is way too loud, well that is not Flo's fault. Flo is just recording what everyone else is hearing from about 30 rows up and 20 to 30 yards away from the field. 

Using 6 direct output to input connections with the corps' mixers means that the folks for Flo literally have to sound check on the fly for every corps. You can do it, but you need someone who understands balances, compression, limiters, and pan placement. 

Bluecoats have a detailed book with details of every stadium they go to. it's huge. Flo runs many of the same venues every year....hired guns or not, that should be made available.

and yes their mic placement is horrible. again, if getting hired guns for gods sake, give them upfront advice on what to do

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

There is probably very little subscriptions for DCI and even less for the company that does DCA. They are not going to put out a high quality product. Simple economics. 

This box5 company prolly only have 2 or 3 viewers. Flo has maybe a few thousand at best. 

based on social media, Box5 has about 30 times that just in my friends list