How 2021 will change the activity for 2022

15 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Yeah, I expect design trends to snap back to meeting the sheets.  Its the instruction techinques that will evolve.

Given fan reactions to the shows, maybe DCI should consider modifying "the sheets" .

• Like 5

I definitely think it's more off the field changes. 

Shorter season, less in-person winter camps, more hotel usage as schools will still be a big challenge. Some corps are completely outsourcing their food service this year and maybe that additional expense outweighs the headaches of running a food truck, volunteers, etc.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Given fan reactions to the shows, maybe DCI should consider modifying "the sheets" .

I think everyone can design fan friendly shows with the current guidelines in place. If 2020 happened, I believe both Boston and Bluecoats would be extremely competitive and be no different that what they performed this year minus maybe Boston's overall number of guard. It seems like the general consensus is that both shows have been very well received and two very different styles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

I don’t think that will happen. As far as fan reaction goes, the biggest positive fan reaction I have seen so far is for the Bluecoats with a thoroughly modern design. 

30 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I don’t think that will happen. As far as fan reaction goes, the biggest positive fan reaction I have seen so far is for the Bluecoats with a thoroughly modern design. 

Granted it was their home show, but from where I was sitting in Allentown, the biggest positive fan reaction was for The Cadets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Sad...  Judging by the clothes they wear and not the show they perform......

According to the 2019 recaps, 40% of the final score is the GE and analysis of visual and color guard.  If you don't think a decent part of that is what they're wearing, you aren't living in the real world.

Do you think Hamilton would have been as well received if they had been wearing ballerina tutus?

7 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Granted it was their home show, but from where I was sitting in Allentown, the biggest positive fan reaction was for The Cadets.

And Akron was Bluecoats home show to be fair. However, Marion is pretty much a neutral field, and PR got a good response, Blue Stars a better response and Bluecoats the best.

5 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

According to the 2019 recaps, 40% of the final score is the GE and analysis of visual and color guard.  If you don't think a decent part of that is what they're wearing, you aren't living in the real world.

Do you think Hamilton would have been as well received if they had been wearing ballerina tutus?

Oh, I get what they are judging and it's not based on content and performance.  Visual can mean many things now.  When "things" are generating score, we have a huge problem in a competitive activity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Oh, I get what they are judging and it's not based on content and performance.  Visual can mean many things now.  When "things" are generating score, we have a huge problem in a competitive activity.

Guard costumes changing every year have generated score. Is that different?