Phantom Regiment 2022

8 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

No matter what, this show kicks a**. 😁

I think that's the important thing to remember.

I keep reading essentially "I like Phantom Regiment's show, and they aren't placing as highly as I would place them, therefore the judges are screwing them."  

They are competent, and they're performing a show that Phantom Regiment fans enjoy. Keep putting together competent shows, keep giving students a good summer, and improve the instruction of those students, and scores will increase. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

Got two great, live reads on Regiment from Denton & San Antonio.  The show was everything I hoped for based on seeing a few Videos.  So powerful, aggressive, full of energy - and it just oozes PASSION & EMOTION.  That to me is the essence of vintage Phantom Regiment at their best.  I'm so thrilled they have found their roots and MOJO again - Thank you 1 million times over to JD Shaw.  The music book is easily my favorite of the year.

I think the org has done a phenomenal job of righting the ship, and the future is bright.  Two terrific shows in a row that have won the crowd (2021 & 2022), and re-established the brand.  The foundation is being laid for this to be a destination corps again for the kids who love this type of music & show.  

I also love that the days are over that there is not enough demand in their shows, and the talent level of the membership is certainly on the rise again.  And I'm confident this year's show is part of a broader plan to return Regiment to not only a crowd favorite but a upper-echelon competitive corps again.

As to this show,  can't wait to see the nuances layered in that are coming, and to see the closer clean up.  The low section 312 seats certainly made clear to me how much work needs to be done to clean the closer.  That's critical if they have a chance to move up.  I certainly think they can catch Cavaliers, at a minimum.  I think Cadets and likely Blue Stars may be out of reach, but they aren't yet locked into 10th in my opinion.  

Most importantly, THANK YOU PHANTOM REGIMENT.  The staff, the parents, the volunteers and especially the MEMBERS.   Thank you for creating an incredibly enjoyable, exciting, passionate show that seems to go by in the blink of an eye, has me on the edge of my seat, and makes my heart soar & my eyes water.  You've reminded me yet again why I fell in love with you long ago.

Harvey

You put it beautifully.

The thing here is, for all the passion and emotion we've been seeing, you can tell they're not even close to done finishing how much passion and emotion is gonna come out of this when they're done in three weeks.

Would I like to see them place higher for it?  Sure. 

Am I hoping to be left weeping on a Saturday night in August from the sheer beauty of it?  More so.

I'll leave the rest to the Phantom org to sort out, they seem to have turned a real corner in the past two years.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SJugster said:

Not sure what you want rewritten in the closer but I am pretty sure they will be making some dot changes for Allentown for the closer.

We can see things coming to the show but its all about execution.

I have no faith that they will move up at all in ranking (as much as that pains me to say). The show isn't what Judges want any more. Can they clean and add dynamics to the brass line? Sure but all some corps around them need to do is walk on the field and they are already penciled in higher (Mandarins scoring higher by a point in Brass is embarrassing for DCI personally).

The future could be bright however I dont' think they will be a destination corps for another couple years. Perc wont really improve and the issues with guard is widely known.

I guess I'm a pessimist but I love the corps and will always support them.

“The show isn’t what the judges want anymore” is an excuse that dates back 30+ years ago when I marched and beyond.  I heard it all the time.  The bottom line is, the corps in the top 5 just have better, more experienced players.  Music selection, arranging and instruction aren’t the issues, it’s all about execution and the top 5 corps do it better because they have better performers.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

“The show isn’t what the judges want anymore” is an excuse that dates back 30+ years ago when I marched and beyond.  I heard it all the time.  The bottom line is, the corps in the top 5 just have better, more experienced players.  Music selection, arranging and instruction aren’t the issues, it’s all about execution and the top 5 corps do it better because they have better performers.   

I never said top 5 however I think they are currently slotted behind corps they shouldn't be. IMO

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

Personally, I think this is a bit of a simplistic stance. It's no secret that Phantom's design this year differs noticeably from some of the higher placed corps. It's also no secret that every year corps copy aspects of the previous year's championship-winning show in hopes of making their programs more palatable to the judges and their (as a group) general tendencies and biases. Having differing forms of design shouldn't matter, but the fact of the matter is that design competency is one of if not the most defining characteristic of a championship vs top 12 vs top 25 show. 

None of this is to say that there aren't other idiosyncrasies going on that complicate this sort of analysis. Phantom is definitely a much younger, less experienced corp when compared to BD or SCV. That certainly has an impact. However, with DCI being so subjective in its judging, such considerations regarding ability and skill will always come second to design and art. Just to simplify this as much as possible, if you were to take current Phantom members and replace them with current BD members and have them perform No Walk Too Far, there probably would be some movement in scoring, but it's not as if they would skyrocket to first place and win a DCI championship this August.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Personally, I think this is a bit of a simplistic stance. It's no secret that Phantom's design this year differs noticeably from some of the higher placed corps. It's also no secret that every year corps copy aspects of the previous year's championship-winning show in hopes of making their programs more palatable to the judges and their (as a group) general tendencies and biases. Having differing forms of design shouldn't matter, but the fact of the matter is that design competency is one of if not the most defining characteristic of a championship vs top 12 vs top 25 show. 

None of this is to say that there aren't other idiosyncrasies going on that complicate this sort of analysis. Phantom is definitely a much younger, less experienced corp when compared to BD or SCV. That certainly has an impact. However, with DCI being so subjective in its judging, such considerations regarding ability and skill will always come second to design and art. Just to simplify this as much as possible, if you were to take current Phantom members and replace them with current BD members and have them perform No Walk Too Far, there probably would be some movement in scoring, but it's not as if they would skyrocket to first place and win a DCI championship this August.

Future looks bright.
Enjoy the ride!

For me, Regiment's show is easily in the top 5 of my favorite shows this year.  Is it being performed and executed better than the nine shows that placed ahead of them this weekend?  No.  Don't really care either.  Love the sound, can feel the drive of the percussion and the overall performance just pulls me in and leaves me literally choked up.  They did good, real good this year.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1