Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

1 hour ago, DrummerParent said:

I’m not qualified to judge cleanliness of the percussion but I do find it odd that there seems to be an even split of people who talk about how good Crown’s percussion is this year and those who talk about how dirty it is.  I did think they were better in Muncie than Kent, though.

Nothing wrong with your first show being dirty.   Growth during the season comes  from judges recognizing improvement in areas where previously there may have been struggles.   In fact coming out clean means you didn’t challenge your performers with the book.   Not to mention Mr. Sacktig has no mercy on the battery in his drill design.  So physical demands are affecting musical execution right now. If you’re  hearing those comments in August then yeah it’s an issue. That certainly happened in the past but has not in the past few seasons.  These instructors know how to get the line clean.  Not worried about percussion being a weakness at all. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, karuna said:

Nothing wrong with your first show being dirty.   Growth during the season comes  from judges recognizing improvement in areas where previously there may have been struggles.   In fact coming out clean means you didn’t challenge your performers with the book.   Not to mention Mr. Sacktig has no mercy on the battery in his drill design.  So physical demands are affecting musical execution right now. If you’re  hearing those comments in August then yeah it’s an issue. That certainly happened in the past but has not in the past few seasons.  These instructors know how to get the line clean.  Not worried about percussion being a weakness at all. 

Agreed.  I just found it somewhat amusing how people’s reactions have been so bipolar.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, karuna said:

It’s DCP.   People like to bring up the past even if it’s no longer relevant.  

The past is ALWAYS relevant, sorry to disagree.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The past is ALWAYS relevant, sorry to disagree.

• Crown percussion kicking ### under Lee Beddis
  • Beddis leaves.   
  • Percussion eventually begins downward trend
  • Retention falls.  Talent level drops  
  • Line can't get clean during season.
  • Staff changes
  • Things improve
  • Percussions placements not hurting overall scores anymore

Yeah the past is relevant but it is the past.  

• Like 3

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results.—Boilerplate investment disclaimer 

Personally, I’m pretty bullish on my CrownSTOCK this summer.📈

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, karuna said:
  • Crown percussion kicking ### under Lee Beddis
  • Beddis leaves.   
  • Percussion eventually begins downward trend
  • Retention falls.  Talent level drops  
  • Line can't get clean during season.
  • Staff changes
  • Things improve
  • Percussions placements not hurting overall scores anymore

Yeah the past is relevant but it is the past.  

I meant the past is important in general, and also to inform us.

I also like Crown this year...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I meant the past is important in general, and also to inform us.

I also like Crown this year...

Me too! 

Just pointing out that percussion is definitely not holding back the corps any more.  In fact in the past few seasons it's been the guard caption (although NOT the membership -- amazingly talented performers still keep rolling into Crown) specifically the effectiveness of the guard staging and guard work.  To their credit the corps kept adjusting staff to attempt to find the right recipe.   It certainly appears that they've gotten things very tasty this year.

nZbGDSg.jpg

Go Crown 👑 !

Edited by karuna
  • Like 8