Surf Organization Responds To Membership Challenges By Lowering 2022 Drum Corps Participation Expenses By $1000

Like many youth-focused arts and sports organizations, the Jersey Surf World Class Drum Corps has been working through the challenges of returning to full operation after two long seasons away from the performance and competition field, with limited ability to share our love of what we do with each-other… and the world. With an understanding […]

View the full article

• Like 5

This is a great move by Jersey Surf but while reading the article I saw this:

Corps members who have already paid their tour fees for the coming season will receive a direct rebate from the organization later this month, and all incoming members will receive a newly structured membership agreement, which reflects a total tuition price of $3400 for the full 68-day experience.

Is DCI really $4400 a year now?! And I'm almost certain that Jersey Surf is one of the better corps with keeping costs down.

I know someone will say "BUT DRUMCORPS IS CHEAP COMPARED TO WHAT YOU GET!!!!!!!!"

However at almost $5k - $6K the price is becoming less competitive compared to other summer actitivites that a kid in their late teens/early 20s might enjoy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shostahoosier said:

Is DCI really $4400 a year now?!

Yes, $4400 was already on the lower end, if not the lowest WC (some others may appear less expensive but their tuition isn’t all inclusive).  $3400 is less than even some open class corps.  Keep in mind that this lowering of member costs is due to generous donor(s), not expense reduction.  Charter buses, semi tractor rental, food and housing are expensive.  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, shostahoosier said:

This is a great move by Jersey Surf but while reading the article I saw this:

Is DCI really $4400 a year now?! And I'm almost certain that Jersey Surf is one of the better corps with keeping costs down.

I know someone will say "BUT DRUMCORPS IS CHEAP COMPARED TO WHAT YOU GET!!!!!!!!"

However at almost $5k - $6K the price is becoming less competitive compared to other summer actitivites that a kid in their late teens/early 20s might enjoy. 

housing is rarely free now. fuel. food. insurance. multiple weeks sitting at spring training not making $$.

yeah

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

housing is rarely free now. fuel. food. insurance. multiple weeks sitting at spring training not making $$.

Yep.  The problem is that performers want the $5000 drum corps experience but don’t want to pay $5000.  People often blame expensive props, electronics, etc. for ballooning the costs but that’s not really much (in most cases- there have been exceptions) compared to fuel, food, bus rental, bus drivers, tractor rental and drivers, housing, etc.  If a lower cost experience is what would make this activity more popular, open class corps would be packed with members and world class would be looking for members.  I think corps used to foot more of the costs through donations and sponsorships in the past and now more is on the member.  The one thing that’s probably changed the most is corps moving from entirely / nearly entirely volunteer to more paid staff, drivers, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah

Fuel. food. insurance. multiple weeks sitting in spring training not making $$. 

these aren’t new things

no?

50 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Yep.  The problem is that performers want the $5000 drum corps experience but don’t want to pay $5000.  

No. I think the problem is that the $5000 drum corps experience costs performers $5000.

I marched in the late 90s when corps fees amounted to about 10% of my full college costs for a year….now it would be a little more than 20% (with increased college costs taken into account).

Again, people will say “but look at what you get! It’s a steal!” and I’m sure it is…but $5K is $5K and is a for some income brackets.

I don’t think is sustainable.

• Like 2