Airfare impact on DCI 2022

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

Oh yea LAX is a freaking nightmare, especially with all the construction they have going right now.

When Gold left for tour heading to ATL for DCI Southeast, they flew out of LAX late in the afternoon. Dear God! I am a LA kid born and raised, even my blood pressure was spiking dealing those idiots. Nearly got into four accidents, and that was before reaching terminal one coming in off Century BLVD lol. 

While LAX is normally cheaper, I rather pay extra for Ontario, San Diego, or John Wayne Airport in Orange County then deal with LAX. All those airports are within one hour of us here in Murrieta, LAX is about 75 min pending traffic. 

I've never tried LAX as everyone has advised to avoid at all cost.  And I fixed my reply. (not sure what I was thinking)  My early departure to IND was thru ATL & my afternoon departure for return home was thru DTW.  Delta airlines; but they did fully refund everything even though I purchased a "non-refundable" ticket.    

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Christing hell.

So sorry an otherwise stellar season for him with Gold had to end so terribly.  One can DRIVE from Indy to Ontario, CA in 29 hours...although stops for food and sleep and all. 😉 

Well in 2023 he is moving up to World Class, so my wife and I will be at finals week, meaning he can fly home with us. Alot of lessons learned from that adventure lol. We are thinking to stay an extra day in Indy on Sunday, then fly out Monday morning back to SoCal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

My son's original flight home was supposed to be Indy to Vegas, then to Ontario Ca with an arrival time of 1145am Pacific time Sunday Morning. Here was my son's ACTUAL journey home from Indy via Southwest Airlines............................

Original flight from Indy to Vegas was delayed then cancelled. They threw him on a flight from Indy to Fort Myers Florida, THEN BACK UP to Columbus Ohio, then onto Phoenix Arizona. 

From the time he got on the plane in Indy, he wasn't allowed to get off the plane until he got to Phoenix, which was approximately 10pm pacific time. He was on the plane for a total of 11 hours. And of course by the time he landed in Phoenix, all the eatery places were closing down the for the night. Since he left Indy, all he had to eat was peanuts on the plane. 

His flight from Phoenix to Ontario was supposed to depart just after midnight, but the pilots were going to "Time Out" as they reached their threshold of flying for the day. So the flight was cancelled.

My son sat in Phoenix airport all night with nothing to eat until his flight left at 6:15am, and I finally picked him up in Ontario at 7:45am pacific time Monday morning. 

Since leaving Indy, he barely ate or slept in nearly 24 hours. 

And to top it off, as soon as he got home, he tested positive for Covid. 

No lie. Can't make this stuff up. 

Ft Myers?  WTH 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Just about everything is easier than LAX.  Even Guam is better than LAX. 

We flew into LAX in 2007 when my kid aged out.  We didn’t have any trouble.  The airport I hate is Newark.  I’d rather fly into just about anywhere else. Reagan isn’t much better. 

29 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ft Myers?  WTH 🤦‍♀️ 

Yes Ma'am. You should have seen my wife. She went ballistic. 

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Just about everything is easier than LAX.  Even Guam is better than LAX. 

Lmao… been Guam twice. High point was taking rental car to working area of airport to inflate a tire. Guy led us back there and left while we were checking the map. “Uhh do you remember how we got back here? Oh …. I’ll drive and you watch we don’t end up on a runway”. 😬

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s insane.  I’ll bet he was starving. 

He ate 5 egg mcmuffins from McDonald's after I picked him up LMAO. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lmao… been Guam twice. High point was taking rental car to working area of airport to inflate a tire. Guy led us back there and left while we were checking the map. “Uhh do you remember how we got back here? Oh …. I’ll drive and you watch we don’t end up on a runway”. 😬

Guam airport is ok if you are actually visiting Guam.  When I was on Okinawa and we had to go to Hawaii (Oahu) to deal w/ higher headquarters, we generally would leave at 1330 local Okinawa time.  3 hours to Guam, then sit in terminal (no AC, a small coffee kiosk, and a duty free shop) for 5 hrs, then on to Hawaii via Air Mike (RIP) 7 hour flight.  We would land at 6am local, but on same ‘day’ we left Okinawa.   My anti-jet lag rule is wherever you are, that is what time it is.  No sleeping until 7pm.  Fortunately in Hawaii there are things to keep one occupied. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

We flew into LAX in 2007 when my kid aged out.  We didn’t have any trouble.  The airport I hate is Newark.  I’d rather fly into just about anywhere else. Reagan isn’t much better. 

My absolute never ever again airport is Philadelphia.  

• Haha 1