Camp Encore in Sweden, Maine!

Camp Encore/Coda, a summer music camp in Sweden, Maine specializing in the orchestral experience for high school students is accepting applications for this summer! The 3 1/2 week session is only $5825 and the full 6 1/2 week session is only $9500. All meals are included, as is the housing in rustic cabins in the Maine woods, and there is no travel to worry about. Google them for more info!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, craiga said:

Camp Encore/Coda, a summer music camp in Sweden, Maine specializing in the orchestral experience for high school students is accepting applications for this summer! The 3 1/2 week session is only $5825 and the full 6 1/2 week session is only $9500. All meals are included, as is the housing in rustic cabins in the Maine woods, and there is no travel to worry about. Google them for more info!

What? No tour?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Wait... ok, I'm supportive any marching unit... but you're telling me that marchers have to pay $9,500 for a season that they aren't touring in? 

I get paying for instructors, but.... sorry what? I'm just confused I guess. 

It's not a Marching unit, just a summer camp.  I have nothing to do with it, but it came across my Facebook feed tonight and I thought I would share the tuition info, if only to put DCI corps' tour fees into perspective. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, craiga said:

It's not a Marching unit, just a summer camp.  I have nothing to do with it, but it came across my Facebook feed tonight and I thought I would share the tuition info, if only to put DCI corps' tour fees into perspective. 

Ahhhhhh ok. I was kinda confused for a second. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

But is this an outlier or closer to the mean?

2 hours ago, craiga said:

Thanks for posting this. This may look really expensive but it is in line with many other summer orchestral camps, especially those for college students (I know this one is more for HS students). The notion that drums & bugle corps can continue to charge $2,000 to $3,000 is unfortunately long gone. Like I said in another post, when I was graduating HS I went to the Chautauqua Institute (New York) for an orchestral camp and had I not received full scholarship the cost would have been in the $4,000 range which covered room and food and instruction, and anything extra after that came out of pocket. That was the summer of 1983. Of course the instruction was likely the big cost as we got to study with some top orchestral players. I studied with John Marcellas of the Eastman School of Music for the summer, so that alone was worth it. When I went to the EMF Orchestral Festival in 86 and 87 I believe the cost was even more expensive. 

DCI these days is really a semester abroad experience in the Fine Arts if you will. The marching members get great instructions in music, visual execution, and even dance and character acting, and they get to travel, perform, and learn in a team environment. A full semester at many universities would cost $10,000 up to $20,000 or more. I think most drum corps have done their best to keep costs down, and many are filling in the gap with bingo and other fund raisers. 

• Like 3