Camp Encore in Sweden, Maine!

nvm

Edited by Liahona

On 6/8/2022 at 10:35 AM, keystone3ply said:

DCI should partner with a reputable college so students could earn credit for the entire season from auditions to finals. Or have they already tried or considered this perk?

Many state colleges and universities still do offer credit for those who march. It's not the kind of full semester's worth of credits that a student would earn taking 3 to 5 classes, but many do offer credit. 

Someone mentioned that prestigious music schools want nothing to do with marching band or corps, and that may be true if we are talking Oberlin, Cleveland Institute of Music, Eastman, Curtis Institute, Juilliard, New England Conservatory, etc. But those are mostly private music schools dedicated to orchestral, band and jazz performance. I believe most state colleges with general and secondary music education programs would consider the benefits of partnering with DCI on credit offerings. Some already do. I believe Indiana University in Bloomington still does ( I could be wrong ). And by the way that is a really outstanding music school with a truly national and worldwide reputation. 

Instead of just offering credit a single credit for marching I believe the schools need to see what the students are getting in music education, visual performance, dance, athletic training and conditioning, and travel. I believe there is a lot to discuss and examine for students studying not just music but dance and visual arts, theater, and non arts majors needing an athletic credit or two. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Many state colleges and universities still do offer credit for those who march. It's not the kind of full semester's worth of credits that a student would earn taking 3 to 5 classes, but many do offer credit. 

Someone mentioned that prestigious music schools want nothing to do with marching band or corps, and that may be true if we are talking Oberlin, Cleveland Institute of Music, Eastman, Curtis Institute, Juilliard, New England Conservatory, etc. But those are mostly private music schools dedicated to orchestral, band and jazz performance. I believe most state colleges with general and secondary music education programs would consider the benefits of partnering with DCI on credit offerings. Some already do. I believe Indiana University in Bloomington still does ( I could be wrong ). And by the way that is a really outstanding music school with a truly national and worldwide reputation. 

Instead of just offering credit a single credit for marching I believe the schools need to see what the students are getting in music education, visual performance, dance, athletic training and conditioning, and travel. I believe there is a lot to discuss and examine for students studying not just music but dance and visual arts, theater, and non arts majors needing an athletic credit or two. 

I can see where drum corps experience would be a plus for future music educators and worthy of either credits or being viewed as an internship. Something I found interesting over the years is that as little as ten years ago, if I talked with young people who marched and heard they were studying education, it was always music education. That seemed to change the past few years and it seems many who wanted to teach are studying math or science. I don’t know whether it is the appeal of job offers since STEM is stressed today but it could also be job security. Let’s face it, when it comes to budget cuts, schools can be decimated and the arts are the first to go.

I have heard that drum corps is frowned upon in the performance world, but I wonder if that is more in the past. I know a percussionist with the Boston Symphony who has told me a good number of brass players and percussionists have drum corps experience. I believe the same is true with the Met. Some may frown, but drum corps participants have landed spots in the highest paying and most competitive orchestras in the world. However I have heard drum corps experience, actually color guard, is frowned upon for dance majors. This includes WGI. I know very little about dance and my ability is limited to “The Chicken Dance” at wedding receptions, but the complaints are that drum corps creates bad habits and uses improper dance technique. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I have heard that drum corps is frowned upon in the performance world, but I wonder if that is more in the past. I know a percussionist with the Boston Symphony who has told me a good number of brass players and percussionists have drum corps experience. I believe the same is true with the Met. Some may frown, but drum corps participants have landed spots in the highest paying and most competitive orchestras in the world. However I have heard drum corps experience, actually color guard, is frowned upon for dance majors. This includes WGI. I know very little about dance and my ability is limited to “The Chicken Dance” at wedding receptions, but the complaints are that drum corps creates bad habits and uses improper dance technique. 

Years ago this very much was the case. But DCI is far from what it was "back in the day". The education they receive now very much rivals the talent level of "actual musicians and dancers". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, inbetween said:

Years ago this very much was the case. But DCI is far from what it was "back in the day". The education they receive now very much rivals the talent level of "actual musicians and dancers". 

I’m not talking about back in the day and in the case of the musicians, I agree with you and think my words reflect it. Some of the dance comments are as recent as last year in Indy, and while anecdotal on my part, can probably be backed up in the DCP threads focused on safety issues. I am also talking perception v. reality. I wouldn’t be surprised that dance instruction in drum corps rivals what performance majors learn in college, but I can also imagine that an instructor who has danced on a Broadway stage or with a major ballet company will not see drum corps as a good option for his/her students or ever admit the instruction is in drum corps is as good if not better. 

On 6/9/2022 at 1:03 PM, Tim K said:

"but I can also imagine that an instructor who has danced on a Broadway stage or with a major ballet company will not see drum corps as a good option for his/her students or ever admit the instruction is in drum corps is as good if not better. "

Those are literally the same people teaching drum corps now. Go research some staff bios. Top 12. Most groups have professional dancers teaching their corps now.