DCI 2022 Judging

I think im probably going to be the only one on here to die on the hill that the percussion judge belongs on the field 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, FTNK said:

Judges consult with groups constantly, it's kinda like how people constantly go from industries to working in the govt agencies that are supposed to regulate said industries, and vice versa. Former Secretary of Defense? Go be CEO for Lockheed Martin.

In 2009 I taught a HS band, and their consultant was a regular DCI finals judge (including that year). This was band camp, right after finals. He said flat out that he would never give good scores to Cadets because he didn't like the straight leg marching style.

Yeah, same type of good 'ole boy system that I find unethical, yet it's there. Great way for government employee to make tons of money after retiring from government jobs, and yes, I know a few people who did just that and are making 10k per month now in the private sector. Maybe I'm jealous! lol

I believe that there is validity in asking for a judge's background and then seeing how they judge and where they put corps...

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:29 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I predict people will ask:

1.  Corps X electronics failed mid-show - how could the judges award that number?

2.  Judge - there was a major tear on side 2 in the closer - didn't you see that?

3.  Corps Z - is all park & bark, why the high number in visual?

4.  Can't you hear the thundering-goo overpowering the ensemble?

...and it'll all be true!

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think im probably going to be the only one on here to die on the hill that the percussion judge belongs on the field 

Yeah, if you want to get that granular level of sampling, you need to get close. I guess one could argue the same for the brass though.

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

no but the rules congress hath spoken

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Yeah, same type of good 'ole boy system that I find unethical, yet it's there. Great way for government employee to make tons of money after retiring from government jobs, and yes, I know a few people who did just that and are making 10k per month now in the private sector. Maybe I'm jealous! lol

I believe that there is validity in asking for a judge's background and then seeing how they judge and where they put corps...

judges are supposed to declare any conflicts. i dont believe you can be on a corps payroll and judge it. however....the activity is insular. everyone knows someone or many someones from some other aspect of the activity. if i recall a few years ago a highly respected percussion judge pretty much judged open class all year cause their child marched in a world class group

1 hour ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I don’t think this is a really unpopular hot take. Many people still feel that way

even some caption heads