I need to learn about penalties (for science)

The above photo was definitely from 1979 prelims...I was there....we could not afford a  point penalty...what I actually do not know is this.....in 1977, the corps DID sing an "Amen" at the end of the show........I noticed a .5 penalty for the corps in prelims, and .4 in finals, yet I do not know if they were penalized for singing or something else, and if it was for the singing, just how much.......interestingly, prelims in 1977 were quite tight scoring-wise, and their pre-penalty score (without anyone else getting penalties, either) was 10th place....they finished tied for 12th with the Kilts.....

16 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

The above photo was definitely from 1979 prelims...I was there....we could not afford a  point penalty...what I actually do not know is this.....in 1977, the corps DID sing an "Amen" at the end of the show........I noticed a .5 penalty for the corps in prelims, and .4 in finals, yet I do not know if they were penalized for singing or something else, and if it was for the singing, just how much.......interestingly, prelims in 1977 were quite tight scoring-wise, and their pre-penalty score (without anyone else getting penalties, either) was 10th place....they finished tied for 12th with the Kilts.....

Ah.. thanks for the addtional info.   It might be that the corps was doing it and swallowing the penalty when they could afford it?  

11 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Ah.. thanks for the addtional info.   It might be that the corps was doing it and swallowing the penalty when they could afford it?  

I was with the corps (staff) 1979.......we knew we likely would not make finals, but just wanted to finish as high as we could.....thus the sign...lol....what is interesting, is whatever the penalty was in 1977 (if anything), it was far less than a point, as they had .4 in prelims and .5 in finals....I saw them several times that year, too (as I was competing against them at that time...lol), and they sang every show.....had they gotten their penalties, and Kilts went penalty free in 1977, they would have been 13th.....ironically, there most likely still would have been 13 corps (including the Cadets) in finals because of Bayonne's disqualification, though they got a court order to appear and compete in finals.   Even funnier is this....back in the day, you were not allowed to speak on the field at all...a penalty.......the drum major could speak/give commands from the podium...that was it......there was a case when a member gave a judge a verbal warning because he was about to get mowed over....the penalty judge heard it and gave a penalty for speaking.  Word got out, and no corps members gave warnings anymore, and judges were getting mowed frequently.   After awhile, they put the word out that no corps would get a penalty for warning a judge....before that, in our corps, our smallest soprano did a pivot, his horn bell hit the judge's face, the judge went down, and then the member stepped on him moving out.....no need for a penalty.....

• Like 1

Hah MBA (forerunner to BOA) had field judges for music back in the 80s when ISSMA did not. When my sister marched they had a number where they’d play a phrase softer and softer then blast it. 

There was a rain out finals show they were going to judge in music in a gym standstill then add the prelims marching score for finals.   We saw the music judge putting head right into the bell of a Mello on the soft phrases trying to catch him not playing. 

We’re watching from the stands knowing this judge doesn’t know the show and what’s coming. They hit it ffff and the judge falls over backwards then leaves to the sideline holding his ear.  We are bowling with laughter. Even if he can’t judge the rest of the show, that was worth it 

17 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

We’re watching from the stands knowing this judge doesn’t know the show and what’s coming. They hit it ffff and the judge falls over backwards then leaves to the sideline holding his ear.  We are bowling with laughter. Even if he can’t judge the rest of the show, that was worth it 

That's the kind of marching band stories/experiences I love. Just kids with weapons of mass deafening doing something stupid that was ultimately worth it

I understand that this is a theoretical exercise but anything so extreme as to affect the progress of a show site from functioning could easily become a DQ, resulting in no score. For example, an intentional 30 minute performance time would likely be viewed as breaching contest etiquette or could end in refusing instruction from contest site staff. There are certainly catch-all sections in the rulebook for extreme violations.

49 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

I understand that this is a theoretical exercise but anything so extreme as to affect the progress of a show site from functioning could easily become a DQ, resulting in no score. For example, an intentional 30 minute performance time would likely be viewed as breaching contest etiquette or could end in refusing instruction from contest site staff. There are certainly catch-all sections in the rulebook for extreme violations.

Is there a place where I can find the DCI judge rulebook? I've been searching but couldn't find it

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Is there a place where I can find the DCI judge rulebook? I've been searching but couldn't find it

It used to be a physical book, with blue cover & called ‘The Blue Book’.  I remember in early-mid 80s we were looking through it to find size allowed for this new-fangled pit thing.