What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

All fun and games until certain corps can no longer compete due to lack of finances. Even the current props and electronics arms race is extremely dangerous to the vitality of the activity. 

That being said, why is this “props/electronics race” be allowed to continue? I would rather my monetary donations to drum corps be spent on music and quality dance instruction rather than props. 

Edited by Sutasaurus

Just now, Sutasaurus said:

That being said, why is this “props race” allowed to continue? I would rather my monetary donations to drum corps be spent on musicianship and quality dance instruction rather than props. 

Keeping up with the Joneses, I guess, Suta. 

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I truly do. Do you think Blue Knights and Cadets’ shows are anything alike? What about BD and Phantom? 

Just because slow openers are the current trendy thing does not mean all shows are the same style. I think we have a fairly diverse selection right now 

There is some wisdom out there, not all wisdom of course, that says people either buy in or not in the first minute of a show, and it’s very peculiar that every corps is kinda going about it the same way at least with slow synth-heavy openings. I’m all for an explosive start right off the jump, I wonder why any corps aren’t really trying to do that, it’s always an automatic buy-in from the audience in my experience. Although there are questions of how do you follow that up and keep the momentum of that start. I agree the selection and styles from corps are diverse still, especially the closer you get to the top ranks, but ehhh not a fan of most corps’ openings this year

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Keeping up with the Joneses, I guess, Suta. 

I’m afraid you’re right Young Snare Drummer.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

There is some wisdom out there, not all wisdom of course, that says people either buy in or not in the first minute of a show, and it’s very peculiar that every corps is kinda going about it the same way at least with slow synth-heavy openings. I’m all for an explosive start right off the jump, I wonder why any corps aren’t really trying to do that, it’s always an automatic buy-in from the audience in my experience. Although there are questions of how do you follow that up and keep the momentum of that start. I agree the selection and styles from corps are diverse still, especially the closer you get to the top ranks, but ehhh not a fan of most corps’ openings this year

Yep. As far as I can tell only the Crossmen have the hornline play during the first sound of the show in one of the four orders, so a grand total of .25 corps. Happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by Hrothgar15

14 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

That being said, why is this “props/electronics race” be allowed to continue? I would rather my monetary donations to drum corps be spent on music and quality dance instruction rather than props. 

We are on the same page on this front 

The front sideline mics are a direct response to the one corps who did it immediately after it was legal (pretty much with no one noticing it at first).  Everyone else had no choice but to reluctantly follow suit — judges were rewarding it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

We are on the same page on this front 

While we haven’t agreed on some things we have more in common than we have differences.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 5:48 PM, Cappybara said:

In all honesty it annoys me when there are people around me loudly cheering while I’m trying to appreciate a show. Might be a generational thing. So many people have ruined/made themselves a part of the finals recordings for a lot of performances in the 80s and 90s and I’m happy it’s not as prevalent nowadays. It’s more courteous

I kinda miss it on the recordings 😝Remind me, who was it that was “an American bad***”? Mike? Frank? Is he still an American bad*** today? 

Edited by saxfreq1128

Whether it's removing the tick system,expanding the percussion section, using horns - non G bugles, trombone, electronics, mics, expanding from the traditional 128  number to 165 marcing members, voice or narration, drum corp is evolving with the times. The cats out of the bag. All of the corps will have to adapt with current trends to stay relevant. Some corps will thrive and other fall to the wayside. It all depends on the staff, the musicians and guard members to executive thier provided show and how the judges react to what they hear and see on the field on any given day.  Just my 2 cents!