A Commentary on Narration

Narration...why?  Especially recorded...just no.  It really detracts most of the time.  Most of it seems so forced.  Bloo this year..love the show but dial it back and the amps while you are at it.  Ya we get your sound system is like the best but you are covering up everyone else actually doing drum corps in the back....

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Narration...why?  Especially recorded...just no.  It really detracts most of the time.  Most of it seems so forced.  Bloo this year..love the show but dial it back and the amps while you are at it.  Ya we get your sound system is like the best but you are covering up everyone else actually doing drum corps in the back....

The question isn't "why" but "why not?" Twenty years ago the answer was "because of the rules." The rules were the one thing saving DCI from cringe. It's become clear that show designers only had taste inasmuch as the rules prevented them from going overboard. You really think that Garfield's 1987 show designer wouldn't have included narration throughout if the rules allowed? Thankfully, they didn't. Then.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Big Bird said:

The music is the narration. It is the source material. The show cannot exist without the narration. The narration, in my opinion, is probably the most tasteful narration done in the activity in many years precisely due to the fact that it is from the source material. It isn’t singing, it isn’t campy narration that’s inserted into the show for no reason, it is what the entire show is built around. 

Have you heard of something called Einstein on the Beach? 

that was significantly more tastefully done than the crap the Bluecoats design  team has put out on the field this season

The Bluecoats narration is overbearing and completely takes over the brass throughout the show 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Big Bird said:

In some cases, I agree. In the Bluecoats case, no. The source material is the narration. The show is built around the piece Taming the Dragon. What you are asking them to do is to remove the source music that is the foundation of their entire program

I guess Crown isn’t being faithful to their source material by not blaring Sia’s voice through the speakers during the Chandelier hit? 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Have you heard of something called Einstein on the Beach? 

that was significantly more tastefully done than the crap the Bluecoats design  team has put out on the field this season

The Bluecoats narration is overbearing and completely takes over the brass throughout the show 

We get it, you love the Blue Devils. Thankfully you’re not a judge in DCI so your love affair with Blue Devils and Crown doesn’t mean you’re right

41 minutes ago, Continental said:

I noticed that Bluecoats are getting positive feedback for their narration and Cadets are getting bashed.

When I watched both shows I didn't quite understand the difference in reaction.   IMO, the effect is the same for both. 

To me the Bluecoats narration is worse than Cadets. The Bluecoats narration runs longer and the source music itself isn’t particularly melodic. The Cadets are still completing full musical thoughts 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Big Bird said:

We get it, you love the Blue Devils. Thankfully you’re not a judge in DCI so your love affair with Blue Devils and Crown doesn’t mean you’re right

You hear that @Incognito365? I’m a Crownie now!

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

To me the Bluecoats narration is worse than Cadets. The Bluecoats narration runs longer and the source music itself isn’t particularly melodic. The Cadets are still completing full musical thoughts 

I like the Cadets' music as well.  

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

True, but they are individual, short musical thoughts, all punctuated by narration.  Would be nice to hear musical transitions from that hornline instead.

• Like 1