A Commentary on Narration

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

What really burns my biscuits is the marching members are paying thousands of dollars

it's obvious the the musicality and lyric quality is not there anymore

The membership is paying for summer bank camp. It’s all about the experience and if the experience doesn’t measure up the students will go to another summer band camp next season. 

It’s an entirely different member that participates in the summer music games band camps. No hobby players allowed.

The membership is evaluated through a series of auditions, and those who don’t require special instruction, and are the better trained, have the resources to pay required fees will be selected for summer band camp if that specific organization even offers them a contract. 

It is what it is, it’s not drum corps, it’s band corps. It’s never ever going to be like any era in DCI. DCI should just allow woodwinds and be done with it. 

Edited by Poppycock

38 minutes ago, tedrick said:

I've been going back and listing to shows from the 80s and 90s and the quality of the books is head and shoulders above what's performed today - I truly feel sorry for members today -- I appreciate that no designer wants to do another Bernstein show or another Copeland show or Fiddler on the Roof for the 6th time - but come on people -- it's obvious the the musicality and lyric quality is not there anymore

Yep. This is drum corps’ inconvenient truth if you will. There are a few books each year that come close, but they end up being the exception, not the rule. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tedrick said:

If they are going to continue down this current WGI narration trend, I would recommend that young musicians take their talents to better places.

before presenting bold comments like this, actually consider the young musicians like myself who do actually enjoy the direction DCI has gone. personally, the artistic aspect of DCI with the more involved visual aspect and theatrical direction has driven me to enjoy the activity more. it's fun both for folks like me to watch AND perform. and i'm not alone in this either, almost every person i've met recently agrees with me in some form or another.

30 minutes ago, Ashontheinternet said:

before presenting bold comments like this, actually consider the young musicians like myself who do actually enjoy the direction DCI has gone. personally, the artistic aspect of DCI with the more involved visual aspect and theatrical direction has driven me to enjoy the activity more. it's fun both for folks like me to watch AND perform. and i'm not alone in this either, almost every person i've met recently agrees with me in some form or another.

I also enjoy the more artistic, theatrical direction of modern drum corps, but are you seriously saying you enjoy playing accompaniment to a pre-recorded or live narration?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

I also enjoy the more artistic, theatrical direction of modern drum corps, but are you seriously saying you enjoy playing accompaniment to a pre-recorded or live narration?

i don't hate it, no. in fairness i am very simple, i'll play to just about anything given to me. i love performing. as long as me and my friends are having fun performing, i could absolutely care less if i am accompanying pre-recorded narration or not lol.

I mean, it's not like narration hasn't been a thing for music for years. Orchestras have been playing backup/accompaniment to narration for years, and I daresay that the average professional orchestra has at least as high a musical standard as top drum corps. Though I also feel comfortable saying that most of the narration that shows up in orchestral/symphonic music is better than what has often shown up in drum corps.

There's a reason that the best Cadets narration before this year (not counting the vocal drum break in 2005; that's a somewhat different thing) was Lincoln Portrait in 2014. And that the best use of narration in drum corps in general (IMO) was the Einstein on the Beach text in the ballad in Crown 2013 (though there's an argument for Colts 2015 here as well ETA also Crown 2007).

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 1

Did you even listen to the source music? 😳 Because if you had, I am certain this topic wouldn't have even been started at the risk of looking uninformed.  

Edited by bandman28
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, bandman28 said:

Did you even listen to the source music? 😳 Because if you had, I am certain this topic wouldn't have even been started at the risk of looking uninformed.  

This argument has been made multiple times. Do corps always keep vocals in for every piece of music they source? 

25 minutes ago, bandman28 said:

No one here cares that Taming the Dragon is the source material. Capybara will tell us how amazing BD is and how terrible any corps that can beat them is. If BD did the exact same show as Bluecoats, he would be singing never ending praise

• Thanks 1

Just now, Big Bird said:

No one here cares that Taming the Dragon is the source material. Capybara will tell us how amazing BD is and how terrible any corps that can beat them is. If BD did the exact same show as Bluecoats, he would be singing never ending praise

If BD comes out next year with a show full of narration covering up the brass, I will be the first person to say "this sucks" 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1