Broken Arrow...this is where it starts...

14 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I sure didn't know that, thanks. And apologies for referring to BA as a small town. For some reason I thought it was further south of Tulsa than it is, kinda in nowhere land. 100K+ people is a big small town. 🙂 

It’s basically a suburb of Tulsa, worked there for about half a year, stumbled upon their stadium just by going down the same road for 15 minutes from the apartment we were staying in haha

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I sure didn't know that, thanks. And apologies for referring to BA as a small town. For some reason I thought it was further south of Tulsa than it is, kinda in nowhere land. 100K+ people is a big small town. 🙂 

It's good sized, but it's very much a Tulsa suburb. 

Others mentioned the importance of Oklahoma as a band state... In addition to Broken Arrow, other Tulsa area schools with recent BOA success include Tulsa Union (finalist as recent as 2019), Owasso (finalist as recent as 2011), and Bixby (STL regional finalist in 2021). Collinsville is class A and has had success at BOA regionals. Plus there are some bands in the western part of the state as well (e.g., Mustang was an STL regional finalist in 2021). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

####... Is their entire high school in that band??? 

It used to be the biggest high school in the state, and I assume it still is.

It likely pales in comparison to Dallas and Houston suburb schools, but it's a big'un.

14 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

BA used the pedal carts at BOA in 2017, but they debuted them the year before when they didn't travel to BOA finals. Not an all-out BOA design, but still a great show.

So interesting to me!  It used to be that the worst Drum Corps were light-years better than ANY high school marching band.  Not anymore.  In fact, I can't tell the difference other than those...those reed instruments. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Yeah. Its a stellar program and well organized.  Big money school with fantastic facilities available.  And corps can recruit MMs heh.

Kristin Chenowith is a Broken Arrow graduate.  A PBS special a few years back featured a concert she performed in Broken Arrow with the school’s chorus. Judging from the school’s performance in the concert, or at least as I remember it, the school must have an overall strong music program. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kdaddy said:

It used to be the biggest high school in the state, and I assume it still is.

It likely pales in comparison to Dallas and Houston suburb schools, but it's a big'un.

Most big high schools in DFW and Houston are about the same size as BA, population wise, looking up the numbers out of curiousity many times, Broken Arrow is a huge school in any way you slice it, and their band reflects that. Only ones that would be bigger are the anomalies that are like Allen HS, and maybe a few more. Although Texas does have TENS of schools at over 4,000 compared to maybe OK’s 3-5? I’m not as familiar for all of OK haha

4 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

So interesting to me!  It used to be that the worst Drum Corps were light-years better than ANY high school marching band.  Not anymore.  In fact, I can't tell the difference other than those...those reed instruments. 

I like to credit arrangers at the high school level top groups for maximizing the talents that high schools do have, I very much look forward to what my local schools in the DFW area offer every year. 2021 was actually one of the better years for marching band straight off the bat for returning from Covid, which was truly great to see!

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Kristin Chenowith is a Broken Arrow graduate.  A PBS special a few years back featured a concert she performed in Broken Arrow with the school’s chorus. Judging from the school’s performance in the concert, or at least as I remember it, the school must have an overall strong music program. 

They are definitely very well-rounded in that department for sure