I need to know about BD 2005

13 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

see Cadets 2005 wasn’t so cheesy for me, because the storyline wasn’t really so involved and I bought into the Twilight Zone concept

The 2006 sequel however……………………………………

Yeah I didn’t find it cheesy either. I just thought it weird at first, I thought the ballad was way too simplistic (still do, but SCV 2018 and some of Bluecoats ballads rival or exceed that simplicity).

Once I got accustomed to the unusual nature of the show, and paid attention to the main character manipulating the corps proper to distract from the ballad, I was sold. Fantastic show!

• Like 1

After seeing BD 2005 for the first time back then, I remember thinking that this show was a good example of designers trying to “outdo one another creatively”.

I imagined a design meeting for this show to go something like this:

”I’ve got a great idea!”  “Yeah?  What is it?”  “Remember those dance derbies they used to have?”  “Umm - I think so.  So we’re going to do a show about dance derbies?”  “No - just one in particular.”  “OK, why just one?  Never mind.  Which one?”.  “The one that set the record for the longest one.”  “Oh cool - so we’re going to do a show that tries to recreate the record holder for dance derbies.”  “Well, sort of.  But with a twist.”  “Oh yeah?  What kind of a twist?”  “We’re going to do it backwards!!  <exclaimed very proudly>”  “Wait - why are we going to do it backwards??”  “Because…well…you must not get it.”

Except for that, I actually thought it was a pretty decent show (and not as bad as everyone makes it out to be).

As was mentioned earlier, I think the European tour right in the middle of the competition season did them in that year probably more than the show design.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 8:50 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

Dude. You missed the chance to be a DCI legend. Shame on you. 😂

Nah....I didn't want to be the next "CCCRRYYYYSSSTTTTAAAALLLLL"  or "CROSSMEN DRUMLINE!" or some other numb nuts desperate to get on a recording.   I have a LITTLE more sense than that...and I didn't want to ruin it for anyone else.

The guy I said it to chuckled.

• Like 1

Just now, 84BDsop said:

Nah....I didn't want to be the next "CCCRRYYYYSSSTTTTAAAALLLLL"  or "CROSSMEN DRUMLINE!" or some other numb nuts desperate to get on a recording.   I have a LITTLE more sense than that...and I didn't want to ruin it for anyone else.

The guy I said it to chuckled.

Forgot about Crystaaaaaaal. Who/Where is she today? And Frank the American bad***? 

All I remember from 2005 at least for me was BD only performed at their family day show in June then off to Europe. I was kinda peed off by that. SCV had an off year and didn't even score in the 90's come finals. I went to one show in San Jose at Spartan Stadium. Thanks for Phantom for making a trip west and their show was fantastic. BD's first competitive completion wasn't until late in July. It was a very forgettable west coast season for me as I wasn't into it.

8 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Forgot about Crystaaaaaaal. Who/Where is she today? And Frank the American bad***? 

Now I want a 2-hour documentary special on all the people from the famous DCI callout memes: Where are they now?

• Like 1

Is Clara marching with BD A now?  or somewhere else? or at all?

On 7/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, KVG_DC said:

Is Clara marching with BD A now?  or somewhere else? or at all?

Last year she's listed on the BD site is 2017 C corps and C winter guard.  She may have burned out, moved, or life/money got in the way.  She ages out in 2026 or 2027, I think, depending on her birthday (since she was 10 in 2015).

25 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Last year she's listed on the BD site is 2017 C corps and C winter guard.  She may have burned out, moved, or life/money got in the way.  She ages out in 2026 or 2027, I think, depending on her birthday (since she was 10 in 2015).

Neat.  Wasn’t trying to be stalkerish about it or anything. Just that she was such a great moment and really did a great job in Ink and I’d wondered the whole “where are they now” thing