I need to know about BD 2005

On 7/16/2022 at 11:42 PM, 84BDsop said:

At the Stanford show...

"And when I play my trumpet, something wonderful happens!"

Me (sotto voce to the guy next to me, since I didn't want it on a recording) "Yeah....you shut up!"

Anyone remember the Cadets 07 narration from earlier in the season? As I recall, the scene with lines mimicking drum corps instructors was a little… meaner. It was less appropriate but, for certain Cadets instructors, a pretty funny bit of honesty.

Personally I thought their show was good enough that the narration couldn’t detract. (Unlike ‘08, which was lovely as a show but gosh was that storyline annoying!) Just non-stop greatness from Cadets 07, every section. BD’s show was simply bigger, more majestic. Made sense for a winner. But I think Cadets outperformed them. 

BD ‘05 is less “great,” despite my affection for it. But I will say: it was and remains deeply impressive that that voiceover was all performed live from a member of the pit who was still playing as he narrated. And he had a lot of character to boot. People didn’t like the character. But he performed the heck out of that role IMO. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, crownisking said:

Yeah the crowds were pretty vocal back then. There are a number of documented instances of The Cadets getting straight up boo’d during the years they went weird with their show choices.

True. It was unfortunate because DCI fans never want the boos or laughs to be directed to the marching members. We are always rooting for the performers. But I think everyone knew exactly who those boos were for. In 2004 it was the baton twirler (even though he was very good). In 2005 Cadets were pretty fantastic, obviously, but people were not sure what to make of the drum speak. In 2006 it was a live singer, picnic tables (or benches...I forget). In 2007 it was the EMO narration and making band kids seem weak, needy, and that band was the only place they could go, plus the narration was way too much. The corps was killer good. In 2008 is was a complete debacle until the last minute or so. Cadets in 2009 were pretty good actually, but in 2010 they completely ruined a show that could have been great but instead they turned it into a comedy with the ugliest guard uniforms and a story that went no where. They were always producing great brass and drums, but the show design had really irked a lot of fans. 

• Like 1

As for Blue Devils 2005. When I first heard what the show was (the title but not the music) I thought this could be incredible. I was thinking of something along the lines of Swing period dance bands (1931 - 1945) and the great music of Basie, Ellington, Miller, Dorsey, Shaw, Herman, Goodman and others. I was thinking this was right in BD's wheelhouse. I was thinking we'd get some big dance moments with a tremendous guard and some great staging. Then I saw the show and it was not anything close to what I was expecting. The members were fantastic. But even more than the often cited "Yowza, Yowza, Yowza" I think it was the music choices and the idea of dance being featured that disappointed me some. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rchitectburd23BD01 said:

https://bluedevils.org/programs/a-corps/seasons/?programID=1&season=2005&module=info

Here is the info about the show on their site. If you wonder about the other shows and themes, they have them listed as well. I love how they have this whole database or page dedicated to information on past shows. It's like their own Wikipedia page. They also list the members who marched too. 

Reading this historical description goes to show that social media didn’t start viral challenges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I feel like that describes pretty much all their shows from the mid 2000s

Except for 2005, of course. But that show had its detractors as well from what I understand.

59 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

True. It was unfortunate because DCI fans never want the boos or laughs to be directed to the marching members. We are always rooting for the performers. But I think everyone knew exactly who those boos were for. In 2004 it was the baton twirler (even though he was very good). In 2005 Cadets were pretty fantastic, obviously, but people were not sure what to make of the drum speak. In 2006 it was a live singer, picnic tables (or benches...I forget). In 2007 it was the EMO narration and making band kids seem weak, needy, and that band was the only place they could go, plus the narration was way too much. The corps was killer good. In 2008 is was a complete debacle until the last minute or so. Cadets in 2009 were pretty good actually, but in 2010 they completely ruined a show that could have been great but instead they turned it into a comedy with the ugliest guard uniforms and a story that went no where. They were always producing great brass and drums, but the show design had really irked a lot of fans. 

There was a moment in the 2010 show when Little Geoffrey momentarily took the DM podium while an incredible cheesy voiceover played. To my knowledge, it was only in the show one night and gone the next. I saw it live in Atlanta and it was pretty bad…

Cadets are one of my favorite corps but it’s very strange to me how they doubled, then tripled, then quadrupled down on some less than popular design choices in the mid 00’s. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Except for 2005, of course. But that show had its detractors as well from what I understand.

I was one of the detractors. I’m not a fan of cheese in my drum corps and those mid 2000s and early 2010s cadets shows (minus 2011 and 2013) were so full of it that they should’ve changed the corps location to Wisconsin 

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

East Coast, West Coast............I don't care. If you are booing, heckling a bunch of kids performing a show, you are an idiot and a freaking loser who needs to get their life together. 

Speaking in general. Not at you. 

As much as I joke about Cadets 2017 and BD 2005, I don't have the heart to boo/heckle while at a performance. Even if I don't like it, I'll clap and cheer when the crowd does. Trash talk is for DCP😆

22 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I was one of the detractors. I’m not a fan of cheese in my drum corps and those mid 2000s and early 2010s cadets shows (minus 2011 and 2013) were so full of it that they should’ve changed the corps location to Wisconsin 

see Cadets 2005 wasn’t so cheesy for me, because the storyline wasn’t really so involved and I bought into the Twilight Zone concept

The 2006 sequel however……………………………………

• Like 1