PREDICTIONS FOR BROKEN ARROW

With corps changing their practice schedules due to the heat wonder if those corps needing more of a focus in the visual captions will fall a little behind.  Groups that need to focus on music can easily practice indoors and focus on the areas they need to improve on.  

3 hours ago, NewArpege said:

Right now BD and Crown are consistently the top scoring corps:  https://dci.org/scores/rankings

I’ve watched these scores every night for years and we rarely see much of a swing, unless a corp makes significant changes to their show and then they may jump a spot in the rankings.  We will see what happens!  

The judges absolutely check the DCI scores and they use them each night as a foundation for their scores. So in a way, yes, there’s coordination. I had a friend who was a judge on finals night (I think it was 02), and he told me the night before Finals that BD would finally pass the Cavies the following night, and they did.  He was very candid that the judges openly discuss rankings when scoring and even make decisions in advance. 

Yes, and so have I - watched the scores year over year. A few things:

1. As I said - Crown has only seen Bluecoats once. Had they seen Bluecoats more than once, perhaps Bluecoats would have passed them after a show or two for good, like BD passed SCV after 4 shows for good in 2019 and Vanguard passed BD for good after the 3rd show in 2018 for good.

2. In 2017 and 2018 it looked like Bluecoats were the leader. In 2017, BD was beating SCV out west. Bluecoats saw SCV first. They beat them by 7 tenths at the first show in Rockford. The next night in Minneapolis SCV beat them by 1 tenth and Bluecoats went from the leader to 3rd overnight and never beat BD or SCV the rest of the season. In 2018, people said the same thing about Bluecoats and when they first met with with BD they went from the apparent leader to 3rd overnight. In 2017 Bluecoats beat Crown at their first meeting and went they met up again weeks later Crown was ahead and for good.

3. The Cavaliers went undefeated in 2022 so you must be mixing up your years. I do not believe the judges coordinate scores. That makes no sense and if you look at past scores there is no evidence of that. Ever hear everyone calling “west coast inflation”? 

Crown may win tonight. I don’t know. You may be right in that Crown wins, but I’m sorry you’re not right in stating Crown is in a lead position right now. They have had no competition or head-to-head match ups to prove that.

Edited by henry7184
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

In my 50 years of attending finals, the judges on finals night have virtually always gotten it right. You can argue about a few years, but why bother? 

That’s what I think. We all have to remember that none of us are qualified to judge one caption (well probably 99% of use - maybe there’s a former judge or two lurking) let alone all captions simultaneously. 

There are many years if a different corps had won I wouldn’t argue. Sometimes the numbers fall one way and sometimes they fall the other, but the judges get it right and they don’t need anyone guiding them on what numbers to give or if they are judging on the west coast getting numbers from the east coast and basing their scores off those. That’s just silly.

10 minutes ago, BWise said:

This exactly. But no one wants to listen. 

No it’s not exactly. I agree things will change little after tonight, but we have no idea where any of the top 5 are really going to land, other than BD is most likely going to be 1st or 2nd.

33 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Thanks. They had a great show in 2016. I was rooting for them to win it all, but just saw Bluecoats as unbeatable at the end, even though they really weren’t. 

They truly weren’t unbeatable that year, I contend that either BD or Crown could have at the end. The crowd and all deemed them undeniable though for a title, and they weren’t really wrong at least haha very well deserved regardless

• Like 1

Just now, Vidal28Rdg said:

They truly weren’t unbeatable that year, I contend that either BD or Crown could have at the end. The crowd and all deemed them undeniable though for a title, and they weren’t really wrong at least haha very well deserved regardless

I know I said “even though they really weren’t.” Yes, the crowd was behind them and I believe that helped their performance. It was a show unlike any other in 2016 and was so innovative. As someone else said, I wonder where we’d be today if they didn’t win. 

• Like 1

If any combination of Stone, Solomon, Oliviero, Ochran, Chumley and/or Orefice are there, write it down for BD. All they have to do is show up. Knock yourselves out. 

2 hours ago, henry7184 said:

3. The Cavaliers went undefeated in 2022 so you must be mixing up your years. I do not believe the judges coordinate scores. That makes no sense and if you look at past scores there is no evidence of that. Ever hear everyone calling “west coast inflation”? 

I think you mean 2002 - so yes, people mix up their years. I know a number of ex DCI judges, and if they are an "outlier" or have a "differing opinion" more than once or twice they don't get hired back. It's well known. And now that BD owns USB it's another circuit with judging gigs that these folks want hired for. I'm not much for "conspiracy theories" and 9 times out of 10 I've agreed with DCI judging. I do think music GE needs to return and be a priority, the arrangements have gotten really choppy and unappealing. Not all - but many. JMO

• Like 2