Hostrauser's 2022 DCI Power Rankings - Week 3 (7/18)

4 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Considering BDB and SCVC have placed in the top 16 at semis before, that's not surprising.

yet neither has beaten them in a head to head match up at the same show, the scores for BDB and SCVC rose significantly at their last two shows because they were open class only shows and the judges didn't need to leave room for the world class corps coming on later that evening so the top scores were able to be opened up more than normal if there had been competition above them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

That should always be first for any corps.  Of course there is a balance here too.  They shouldn’t “bet the farm” on a design or instructional staff but a level of competitive success helps also to shore up the long term viability.

Case in point- Jersey Surf had arguably one of their best, if not best, seasons competitively in 2019.  Before Covid, 2020 was looking to be a banner year for them.  They had a solid drumline, a good and full brass section and a good size and pretty talented guard.  I’d say they could have finished above all open class and maybe even surprised a world class group or two.  But, Covid hit them really hard.  They’re doing pretty well with what they have but certainly lost a lot of momentum that 2019’s relative success brought them.  Hopefully they can catch that wave again.

I hate seeing the lower tier and open class suffer so much.  To mean they provided a breath of fresh air with easy to follow and interesting shows.  I saw Southwind this past weekend.   They are a shell of what they were in 2019.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mjyaub said:

I hate seeing the lower tier and open class suffer so much.  To mean they provided a breath of fresh air with easy to follow and interesting shows.  I saw Southwind this past weekend.   They are a shell of what they were in 2019.

I think the decision to move World Class to 165MM has hurt the the lower tier corps. Everyone will move up to a more competitive corps if they are able. 

12 minutes ago, lyndakay27 said:

I think the decision to move World Class to 165MM has hurt the the lower tier corps. Everyone will move up to a more competitive corps if they are able. 

I didn't even know that the limit was moved up...I guess that's how out of the loop I was the last 2 years. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952f700683df29151853

5 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

That should always be first for any corps.  Of course there is a balance here too.  They shouldn’t “bet the farm” on a design or instructional staff but a level of competitive success helps also to shore up the long term viability.

Case in point- Jersey Surf had arguably one of their best, if not best, seasons competitively in 2019.  Before Covid, 2020 was looking to be a banner year for them.  They had a solid drumline, a good and full brass section and a good size and pretty talented guard.  I’d say they could have finished above all open class and maybe even surprised a world class group or two.  But, Covid hit them really hard.  They’re doing pretty well with what they have but certainly lost a lot of momentum that 2019’s relative success brought them.  Hopefully they can catch that wave again.

I see what you did there