I can't be the only one...

14 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Back when I used to try and pace my walking to old shows, I would make sure to step off left foot first, with the explicit exception of listening to Cadets shows.

A relevant webcomic:

keeping_time.png

(Hover-text: You can identify them ahead-of-time -- they lead with their left foot when the music starts.)

Heh. 

There's a trance album I listen to while walking for exercise sometimes and the DJ puts in these drag roll beats that cause the pulse of the beat to go from Left on 1 and 3 to Right on 1 and 3 if you just keep walking through it.  I have to work real hard not to do a scatter step or lose the time then reset cause my brain wants that Left on 1 and 3 reaaaaaaaly bad.

38 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Are indeed, of course. Again, still not sure how I got so lucky to stand in their shadows. 💚💓

It was no accident. You earned your spot.

And we all feel that way about our mentors. Just think of Drum Corps as a very big tribe where we all learn from our elders. That's our job...and theirs, all of which comes with a responsibility to pass it on.

On 7/21/2022 at 11:10 PM, ironlips said:

It was no accident. You earned your spot.

And we all feel that way about our mentors. Just think of Drum Corps as a very big tribe where we all learn from our elders. That's our job...and theirs, all of which comes with a responsibility to pass it on.

Thank you. :blush:

And... I'd like to have thought it was that simple but it wasn't in my case, friend.

Editing long after this comment to say this community (DCP and drum corps broadly) is not a tribe I have ever felt welcome in after I stopped being a paying member. I've never been allowed back in as an "elder" or a teacher to pass anything along that I learned, despite impeccable qualifications. I'm guess it has something to do with the fact that I don't tolerate mistreatment of staff or members and am quick to call it when I see it. I think that scares people.

Edited by scheherazadesghost

6 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Heh. 

There's a trance  is probably I listen to while walking for exercise sometimes and the DJ puts in these drag roll beats that cause the pulse of the beat to go from Left on 1 and 3 to Right on 1 and 3 if you just keep walking through it.  I have to work real hard not to do a scatter step or lose the time then reset cause my brain wants that Left on 1 and 3 reaaaaaaaly bad.

The DJ is probably a J Dilla (James Yancey) acolyte...Master of Beats...changed the game forever..peace

34 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

The DJ is probably a J Dilla (James Yancey) acolyte...Master of Beats...changed the game forever..peace

Sandra Collins. It’s one of the Tranceport sets. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:42 AM, waliman4444 said:

Horns played ALOT of music.....Hawthorne always had guys with great chops but I didn't recall how much they played!...No knock on today's brass players but the old guys played more music IIRC..Thanks for Hawthorne post

The BRASS played more for sure. I like it when the brass is the main focal point, but I'm only in the majority, but not super majority ( trying to be funny here)

• Like 1