Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

Just now, Poppycock said:

IMO injuries occur in all sports regardless of your age.

It’s also why there are alternate’s. I was always thankful that BD understood that the body needs to rest and rejuvenate. To this day it’s still planned for days in the schedule to get fresh again. They understand that a person can only retain so much information for a specific period of time, and the body can only endure some much physical activity. 

Agree.  Part of the challenge of 'only endure so much physical activity' is that every members 'so much' is different from every other members.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

If SC chose me, BD overwhelmingly DID NOT! I auditioned for both and often wonder if, had they selected me, I might have been able to march all my years with less or no injuries. Guess we'll never know, Devs. I coulda been a contendah!

What you've described is exactly how they always appeared to me from across the Bay. My friendly banter towards them is deeply grounded in jealousy over the fact that they implemented recuperation into their program early on. Meanwhile, SC ground my face into the dirt every year I marched. What can you do?

FWIW, I saw both you & BD in Hershey & liked Scheherazade much more than the train thing BD did

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lyndakay27 said:

I thought playing bass drum would be fairly safe, but my daughter had a concussion at Crown when a prop took her down. She was out for a week. BD lost a contra this year to stress fractures. It’s not easy on our kids’ bodies. 

I hate reading this, but thank you for sharing.

This. Is. Why. Show. Design. Must. Change.

It doesn't have to be this way. I'm a stronger, safer dancer now than I ever was marching and that was twenty years ago. You can teach anyone at any age how to move safely and efficiently. Period.

You can design shows with student safety at the forefront AND maintain high impact.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree.  Part of the challenge of 'only endure so much physical activity' is that every members 'so much' is different from every other members.  

Exactly. And I don't think I was any tougher back in the mid and late 80's than the kids are now. I was just a whole lot stupider and when my body hurt, I would just tell it to shut up and push harder. The kids now, at least for battery percussion, do a whole lot more than we did drill wise. 

• Like 1

I don't know what takes place in other forums on the Internet, but I don't understand why members or fans bash certain corps.  I remember in '94 when talking to Phantom Regiment members while on tour with the Cadets how people were saying awful things about them on DCP.  I have seen this happen against many corps throughout the years.  I am not that technologically advanced.  I don't have a cell phone and don't even know how to hit the ignore button!  I am a work in process!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Is it though? Couldn't you tell when your corps mates were hurting whether you had experienced that particular injury or not? You know the ones..........................................................

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

RIP Lothar

We (Corpsvets,) were mortified when it happened in '05. I still have my black ribbon from finals night in my drawer of random corps stuff. RIP Lothar

• Sad 1