Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

25 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I was glad to see that he had the presence of mind to leave the field immediately after that happened. I hope he’s okay. 

Worth reiterating that a lot of people didn’t even know this happened, or didn’t know he ran off field because it was serious  (multi-cam didn’t show that part) … So I think the leap here is iffy. It’s pretty clear that’s not what the joke over the fabric was about. I get that people are sensitive over Crown getting teased for their ballad fabric, but using this kid’s injury to make Crown into some sacred cow is really gross. 

I think the turning-point for dealing with injured member on the field was 2005 Kilties at DCA prelims.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
clarity & more better English
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

For better or worse, there's footage of it on reddit. I've never taken a rifle hit from that height, but it looks real real painful.

Thank you, I gathered that folks were joking about the fabric separately from this. Intention and aftermath are totally different though and it's totally okay to say yeah wow, bad luck timing on that joke maybe I'll stop until I hear the guard member is okay. Look at football... the field goes quiet for injuries and there are cheers when players can get up and walk off themselves. If they can't, the crowd knows it and is on their phones right away to watch for followup.

Maybe I missed the sacred cow part. Again, injuries are the symptoms of larger concerns. They carry more weight than that of the injured. It makes sense for organizations to buckle down and harden their shells. It's what the body does when we're injured... the org is doing the same thing. Protecting itself.

Listen I marched finals on a broken foot without ever even coming close to getting medical care. It wasn't even considered. I know what it means to suck it up and call it a flesh wound. But that injury was dismissed and forgotten. I see the same shadows of that in this discussion and it gets me fired up.

There is definitely a big problem — unfortunately, bigger than DCI — with people being asked to downplay serious injuries. I’m glad times are changing on that front, but that’s no help to the many people who’ve endured this stuff already.

I’m sure many of us remember the young woman from BD who busted her knee at Finals in 2007 and marched anyway, but was then too injured to march the encore; or when a member of Crown was injured at — was it 2010 finals? None of us wants that! I can’t even watch the parts of Cadets 1995 where multiple members fall, or ‘02 when a Contra falls.

None of us wants to see them get hurt and even the spiciest of us would never use an injury to poke fun at a member or a corps.  

• Like 2

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

Respectfully, they don't hit people all the time in my experience.

I’m including high school! lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Don't Leave! We need more positive and respectful members here to keep things balance. Don't let them push you out. I almost leave two weeks ago similarly, but some amazing people here remind me that great people are here, and this place can still be fun. Stay and enjoy the rest of the season with us.

At the end of everything, it's only drum corps and the internet. Just ain't worth getting too worked up over. Glad you stayed around, fizzie and hope the others re-consider as well. 

YARN | "Mongo Only Pawn In Game Of Life." | Blazing Saddles (1974) | Video  gifs by quotes | 303d5ae3 | 紗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, lyndakay27 said:

I’m pretty sure I read it was precautionary 

Which is very good that they are doing it as a friend's daughter was in the Crown guard for several seasons and did sustain several actual concussions. She eventually had to drop out because of it.  There is a lot of risk involved in the weapons work, especially as it has gotten more and more difficult over the years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MingoLeger said:

What is this "ignore" feature you speak of? I never post because I was attacked a few years back and didn't know this feature existed.

I think someone else answered this. Did that work?

I'd like to see a feature where you could just click on a post and ignore the poster from there. 

• Like 2