For the record: Attendance and popularity

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

I completely agree with this.  I'd also add the increase in membership to 165.

• Financials. I worry about the ever accelerating arms race related to more & better speakers, props, mics, additional pit equipment, ever expanding convoys of trucks, busses, staff sleeper coaches, etc.  This won't hit the select corps with deep pockets, but the gap between them & the have nots keeps widening, and it can mean even fewer corps and likely fewer shows as a result.  While it's not practical given the dynamics of the organization, I wish DCI could implement a spending cap, similar to professional sports league salary cap.  I know that's apples & potatoes, but we need as broad a number of corps as possible or we could look up and have 12 or so World Class corps left at some point.  The explosion in budgets in the top end of the activity has been crazy. 
  • Abuse & Misconduct - at some point we could see a class action lawsuit, or at the very least, former marchers who no longer care about protecting their corps and sue said corps out of existence.
  • Increasing membership - it's pretty clear that the expansion to 165 has some type of impact on some of the lower corps ability to hit even pre-165 numbers.  This is almost a sub-component of financials.  The rich get richer, and the gap widens further.  Any change that amplifies that has to be looked at more closely, IMO.

Just my 2 cents.  And Kdaddy, you are right - none of the changes have turned fans away in droves.  Spot on with that.

Harvey

It might…be too early to say what the 165 membership cap increase means for corps, I’d give it a few years to see what it’s impacts really are. It’s a heavily sighted concern that I personally don’t view having too much of an impact at least right now, it’s such a recent change people really have to wait and see on that one. Maintaining financial stability and nipping any kind of abuse or bad actors in the bud are much more pressing matters than the former concern.

9 minutes ago, ironlips said:

"finals night in Indy is virtually sold out, end zone to end zone. "

That would be great. From where was this statistic culled?

I have been buying same day tickets for finals since it has been in Indy. Since 2015' they have only been selling outer  400's and 600's that are angled beyond the end zone. They start selling actual end zone tickets that day as well.  We're two and a half weeks away and this is what it looks like if you buy today.

mGRyGQh.png 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

Audience turnouts for the Texas shows were tremendous. Atlanta attendance will likely be down this year, due to the outdoor stadium. 96 degrees predicted for Saturday-30% chance of thunderstorms. Allentown will have a great turn-out, as always, and finals night in Indy is virtually sold out, end zone to end zone.  

I usually purchase 4-6 tix but not this year.  I'm actually looking to sell my Murfreesboro tix, but I may just head on & take the chance w/rain. 

3 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

I have been buying same day tickets for finals since it has been in Indy. Since 2015' they have only been selling outer  400's and 600's that are angled beyond the end zone. They start selling actual end zone tickets that day as well.  We're two and a half weeks away and this is what it looks like if you buy today.

mGRyGQh.png 

It really shouldn’t be surprising to people that finals in Indy is practically “sold out”. It’s finals week!!

1 hour ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

It might…be too early to say what the 165 membership cap increase means for corps, I’d give it a few years to see what it’s impacts really are. It’s a heavily sighted concern that I personally don’t view having too much of an impact at least right now, it’s such a recent change people really have to wait and see on that one. Maintaining financial stability and nipping any kind of abuse or bad actors in the bud are much more pressing matters than the former concern.

I honestly do not believe that the new 165 member max has any bearing on anything.  Point in fact...there are only a handful of corps actually marching 165 this year.  The smaller corps' struggles have everything to do with three years of no income stream, not the membership cap at 165.

• Like 1

Just now, craiga said:

I honestly do not believe that the new 165 member max has any bearing on anything.  Point in fact...there are only a handful of corps actually marching 165 this year.  The smaller corps' struggles have everything to do with three years of no income stream, not the membership cap at 165.

I really don’t think so either, I see people’s points as to why it may, but it’s way too early to say how it’s shaken up membership amongst all corps, I just think it’s way too early to say, and that there are definitely other much more important variables in smaller corps’ membership numbers coming off of the pandemic. Time is needed to heal

• Like 1

165 just makes the spread between the haves and have nots even more of a factor of competing.  Bus capacity is what it is.  Hopefully this number doesn't change for a while either.

First post in a long long time. I don't know if this information is available but I would love to look at the attendance per show and see overall attendance in 2022 versus say 2002, additionally what current numbers for downloads, streams, Youtube uploads, etc. and crunch some of those numbers.

Like many, after my "era" of drum corps was over, I have had a much harder time keeping up with it and have been almost completely disconnected from the activity for the last decade but recently got back involved and looking to volunteer after getting to see a rehearsal day at a corps my former marching buddy is working with.

I want to be wrong about the direction of the activity and overcome my dislike of some of the changes and not be the angry "drum corps boomer" on Facebook. My biggest concern years ago (and still now) is that DCI is losing its identity during a time where the activity could easily not be around in 5-10 years. I know DCI isn't the end all be all of drum corps but they are by far the largest organization, at least in the US.

On the more positive side, while I personally have zero interest in what the top 6 corps are doing, the often viewed "mid tier" World Class corps seem to be more competitive than ever and more interesting than it's ever been. Open Class seems to be doing healthy on a corps to corps basis (despite the impact COVID had) and are built on a better, granted imperfect, system than Division II/III was.

Seeing some hard figures on attendance figures and digital reach would be awesome to know. Maybe it's the nature of the activity but after being a boring adult for a while, if DCI isn't making that data a priority then someone should be. I'm sure someone is but it has to be a huge focus in 2022 and beyond.