Finals Scores

1 hour ago, Trumpet2 said:

This may be dumb, and if it is don’t roast me for it. 

Why is the champion not determined from an average of all three scores on finals night? Is it because they use different judges each night? I honestly think it might make things more interesting if that’s how placement was determined. Just my opinion. 

It’s not dumb at all. I’ve wondered that myself since captions are awarded that way. It never made sense to me that captions are award based on a three nights average but the champion isn’t. I am glad the champion isn’t and frankly I think it’s silly caption awards are awarded that way. It’s supposed to be an “any given night” kind of thing, and I therefore think both the captions and champion should be based on Saturday night only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Imagine you pull off the feat of going 3-2-1 and feeling on top of the world then somebody goes sorry that group that got second beat you. 

That happened in 2008. Regiment would not have been champion if it was based over three nights, especially with a 0.025 margin over BD on finals night.

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

The Ott, Sanford and Zingali are already all determined this way...

Which is stupid 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Trumpet2 said:

I can see both sides of it, but I think my view was more that the caption awards are determined by average so the champion should too. Obviously it doesn’t matter how they do it, but it would be interesting for sure. 

Or ditch the average on captions 

If that was the case, there would not be any ties. BD would have won outright in 1996, 1999 and 2008. Cadets would have won (no tie)  in 2000 and Crown in 2015. Believe me not a lot of happy campers if that was the case. I see your thinking as other competitive things like figure skating and snowboarding do combine scores to determine the ultimate champ. 

Edited by DFA1970

9 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

If that was the case, there would not be any ties. BD would have won outright in 1996, 1999 and 2008. Cadets would have won (no tie)  in 2000 and Crown in 2015. Believe me not a lot of happy campers if that was the case. I see your thinking as other competitive things like figure skating and snowboarding do combine scores to determine the ultimate champ. 

Exactly.

Figure Skating makes sense because the short program is for required elements. It can compare skaters head to head performing the exact same skills. Drum Corps isn’t like that. I still think it’s dumb they award the caption winners based on a three night average.

12 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

It might also make things easier for those at the bottom end of each grouping. 

Let's say you do Prelims and narrowly get 12th place. You do the same thing again on Semis by the same margin, and you've made Finals! On Finals, you have a terrible run with electronics issues and there's ensemble tears and everything, so you crash and burn. Your average score now drops below the corps in 13th, are they now 12th? If so, should they get an extra show? Are they now considered a Finalist instead? 

This is a good example of why we don't average scores for the overall placement of the corps. It's  fine for some caption awards, but for each night of quarters, semis, and finals it should be a WINNER takes all. Had they averaged the scores in 2008 Phantom Regiment does not win. Had they done this in 1996 I am not sure Phantom ties BD. 

I think winner takes all approach is better for Finals scoring. You want that feeling of "anything can happen." In 2014 Bluecoats would not have passed Cadets if they averaged the scores, but on Finals night they DID pass Cadets and they were smoking HOT that night. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Exactly.

Figure Skating makes sense because the short program is for required elements. It can compare skaters head to head performing the exact same skills. Drum Corps isn’t like that. I still think it’s dumb they award the caption winners based on a three night average.

It was not long ago that DCI wanted to eliminate caption awards. Fans spoke out and it never came to a vote. I think it's best to keep it like it is. Prelims and semis are for placements and who makes the cut. When it comes down to it you have to perform at your best come finals night. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

When it comes down to it you have to perform at your best come finals night. 

This makes my heart sing as a performer. The pressure is exhilarating.

That said, I could envision a similar excitement and grit stemming from having to perform consistently 3 nights in a row to win. My mentor always said if you can't demonstrate mastery of something three times in a row, it's a fluke.

Just musing..........