Finals Scores

I think all of you are missing the main reason Finals is a one-shot deal:  it's a competition/sport.  The NFL champion isn't decided by an average winning margin over the course of the playoffs.  Using your average score method, we miss out on Raiders over Redskins in '84.

You march and play all summer long to get to Saturday night... one chance to put your absolute BEST performance out there and try and take the title.  THAT is what made 2008 the greatest result in DCI history.  That is also what made 2015 a disappointing result as well.  Finals night rewards the bold and brave... and punishes the hesitant and unsure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Exactly.

Figure Skating makes sense because the short program is for required elements. It can compare skaters head to head performing the exact same skills. Drum Corps isn’t like that. I still think it’s dumb they award the caption winners based on a three night average.

Back in the AL/VFW era Corps used to perform a shortened ‘prelims show’ that lasted about 6 min so they could run through the lineup quickly.  This was when it wasn’t unusual to have 50-60 Corps at a single event. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

It was not long ago that DCI wanted to eliminate caption awards. Fans spoke out and it never came to a vote. I think it's best to keep it like it is. Prelims and semis are for placements and who makes the cut. When it comes down to it you have to perform at your best come finals night. 

Agreed, but I also think that should hold true for the caption awards. It should be just one single night - finals. It’s really not that big of a deal, actually. The year the corps I was in won finals, I couldn’t have given a flip about the caption awards - they didn’t matter in light of the fact that we just won.

But, to award a champion over a three night average would be silly. When a corps pulls out that magic performance on the night that everyone is striving for that magical performance, they should be rewarded for it (Regiment ‘96 and ‘08, Vanguard ‘99, Cavies 2000, etc…). It would be boring finals night if we already knew that someone was a shoe in to be champion based on the scores from the previous two nights.

Edited by henry7184

4 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I think all of you are missing the main reason Finals is a one-shot deal:  it's a competition/sport.  The NFL champion isn't decided by an average winning margin over the course of the playoffs.  Using your average score method, we miss out on Raiders over Redskins in '84.

You march and play all summer long to get to Saturday night... one chance to put your absolute BEST performance out there and try and take the title.  THAT is what made 2008 the greatest result in DCI history.  That is also what made 2015 a disappointing result as well.  Finals night rewards the bold and brave... and punishes the hesitant and unsure.

yet the captions are averaged which is stupid. SCV won percussion in 19, yet BD won percussion on finals night. Hollow victory for SCV in the eyes of many. i am sure its happened with other captions over the years too.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yet the captions are averaged which is stupid. SCV won percussion in 19, yet BD won percussion on finals night. Hollow victory for SCV in the eyes of many. i am sure its happened with other captions over the years too.

Yes but on the other hand it stops one judge solely making the big call 

I suspect they want to average the captions to avoid all the "one judge threw the trophy to ___ on finals night" drama.  Because it's literally one person deciding the caption each night whereas total scores are the complete of a panel. 

1 minute ago, DCI-86 said:

Yes but on the other hand it stops one judge solely making the big call 

it can happen anyways. what was the year Crowns percussion was way back all year then boom semis they were top 5? or even VA with Crown in 15 and the final result?

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it can happen anyways. what was the year Crowns percussion was way back all year then boom semis they were top 5? or even VA with Crown in 15 and the final result?

Percussion judge with Phantom in '89, field visual with Star in '93, Colorguard with BD in multiple years (winning)... one judge has made a difference both good and bad several times.

There is something to be said for the old saw:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Throughout the history of the activity, it has often been the case that the winner of prelims did not take finals.

Why would anyone wish to minimize the chance that a particular corps could deliver the performance of their lives at the penultimate contest and yet not win the championship?

In fairness, other sports are evaluated that way, but Drum Corps is so much more than a mere "sport", in my view.

The Chicago Symphony may be the finest orchestra in the country on average, but the best orchestral performance I ever witnessed was delivered by the NY Philharmonic.

In ancient times, the Philistines held off the Hebrews in Prelims, but in the Finals David beat Goliath, providing a much better story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Percussion judge with Phantom in '89, field visual with Star in '93, Colorguard with BD in multiple years (winning)... one judge has made a difference both good and bad several times.

yup. it is a little harder now given the mathematic formula used, but it can happen.

and again....percussion 2019. if it should be for the overall score, it should be for the captions.