Marching experience of DCP members

9 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I got a little bit of the famous Great Lake Winter. Right after boot camp I went across the street to NTC for GM "A" School. 

Our pass and review was super long because my graduating class Divisions 289-298 (I was in division 296), we were the first to ever go thru the Navy's new Battle Stations at boot camp. Our graduating class was known as the "Guinea Pigs" since the Navy was going to try out this new project on us lol. 

In fact when we did it, it was actually known as RFEP (Recruit Final Evaluation Phase). It didn't adopt the Battle Stations name till almost a year after I left boot camp I believe.

It took us four hours to get through the whole event. I heard it has evolved into 24-48 hour event today at boot camp.

So since it was new and groundbreaking, every Admiral and Master Chief in the Navy had to show up and give a speech LMAO. I swear 100 people must have given a speech lol. We almost died out there. I just remember the RDCs kept yelling at us to not lock our knees lol. 

Haha, I also spent the winter at NTC in MM "A" school also (and hardly ever stepped outside of snipes castle barracks except for school).

Interesting (that Battle Stations guinea pig story).  I was wondering why your graduation took so long. I don't remember ours being very long at all.  Granted it was 39 years ago and I don't  remember the details like that.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

👍

Thankfully my pass in review was indoors, because it was winter in Great Lakes and single digits. 

After my Med Cruise I was transferred to NTC Orlando which also included RTC (Recruit Training Center).  If we weren't on tour, we'd split ceremonial band duties at boot camp graduation every Friday with the other band units. I don't recall ever having an indoor graduation due to heat or rain, but it might have happened. It did snow in Tampa one time while I was there. 

1 minute ago, kkrepps said:

Haha, I also spent the winter at NTC in MM "A" school also (and hardly ever stepped outside of snipes castle barracks except for school).

Interesting (that Battle Stations guinea pig story).  I was wondering why your graduation took so long. I don't remember ours being very long at all.  Granted it was 39 years ago and I don't  remember the details like that.

One of my best friends is a Machinist Mate. We came up together on the USS Germantown (LSD-42) when we were E1-E4 at that time. The stories we have all over South East Asia...............somebody was praying for us with all the crazy things we did lol. We should have went to Captains Mast at least 15 times LMAO. Young Sailors overseas. You already know lol. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

After my Med Cruise I was transferred to NTC Orlando which also included RTC (Recruit Training Center).  If we weren't on tour, we'd split ceremonial band duties at boot camp graduation every Friday with the other band units. I don't recall ever having an indoor graduation due to heat or rain, but it might have happened. It did snow in Tampa one time while I was there. 

By the time I went to boot camp in June 1997, Great Lakes was the only RTC. I was from California, and they had already shut down the RTC in San Diego about a year before I went in. 

14 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

After my Med Cruise I was transferred to NTC Orlando which also included RTC (Recruit Training Center).

10 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Young Sailors overseas. You already know lol. 

I think we're nearing a perfect storm to hijack the thread with sea stories haha.😂

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

By the time I went to boot camp in June 1997, Great Lakes was the only RTC. I was from California, and they had already shut down the RTC in San Diego about a year before I went in. 

Yep.  I think NTC Orlando is now some sort of commercial development now. I was in boot camp in Orlando in Jan 1973 and stationed there 1974-76. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kkrepps said:

I think we're nearing a perfect storm to hijack the thread with sea stories haha.😂

Yea I better stop LOL. Besides 99% of the stories can't be talked about on this forum lol. 50% of those I must take to my grave at all cost LMAO.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

But only sea stories about music. Gotta keep it a little topical. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 years of high school marching band.

Unfortunately no Corp experience just a big fan. I have been attending shows and championships since 2006 regularly. 

Still trying to get a child or grandchild into drum corp.  No luck so far although both my boys marched in HS and College.