Monday, August 8th “DCI Open Class Championship Prelims” Wildcat Football Stadium at Indiana Wesleyan University Marion, INDIANA

5 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

I said it earlier in the season and I'll say it again - I am SHOCKED to find myself thinking the music captions are the Spartans' biggest strengths this year. They've always struck me as a much more visually-focused group over the years, often fielding a guard that could challenge the top 15.

Their brass sound has always come across as thin for me. The complete opposite is true this year. This corps is strongest musically. The visual program is definitely easier than in prior years, but if that's what it took to get them playing like this and develop their music program, I am ALL for it. They sound unlike any Spartans corps I've heard before. Percussion is really strong, as well.

Experiment X marked that shift. That was another musical juggernaut

• Like 1

Also yes the center high cam needs adjusting.... they were fiddling with it but didn't fix it.  Ok better now.  but a bit...yet it seems.  

1 minute ago, CAtenhut said:

Good show. I can see why they battling for a medal. But can someone explain the purpose of the props laying around the center of the field and no one using them? 

Not me. That's just baffling to me. You got em, you paid for em, use em. 

• Like 1

Ok!  Gold!  @Chief Guns tipped me off this is based on the story in the YA book The Giver so I gave it a read and the bicycle makes sense as do a number of other visual and drill elements to me.  

The story is basically a boy living in a future community that is extremely rule bound and conforming although peaceable as such. But he is chosen to be the successor to the person who holds all the memories (good and bad) of the community, if not the world.  And what he learns leads him to leave with those memories, which ultimately will release them back to the community causing some chaos for them.   Kids get a bike with they turn 9 for transportation.  

• Like 2

Okie doke. Time to do a little Golddigging. Do it up, kids. 

the subtle introduction of color v the all white is part of the story too.  The boy, Jonas, is identified as the candidate for the Receiver (of memories) because he sees "something weird" about an apple, and then some other things.  Which turns out to be ... seeing colors.  The others do not.

The numbers in the narration are the Ceremony of 12, where the 12 year olds are assigned to their designated careers.  

• Like 2