Thursday, August 11th “DCI World Championship PRELIMS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

I love this show, but from my seat (on the 45) down low all I hear is brass sound coming from the speakers. It’s overwhelming. 

First time seeing the whole show from the Colts this year.  They clearly have outstanding field visual staff and with uniforms that make everyting but their legs virtually disappear from up high, that's a good thing.  They don't have as big of an ensemble sound as BK, but I think they have a lot more musicality in terms of everything else...phrasing, articulation, tone, dynamics.  Can't get my attention off the battery. 

Colts trombone soloist has such attitude in their playing, love it

• Like 1

BK - no unifying theme in my opinion, musical ideas all over the place but they had some moments, good visual concepts / execution had some problems but I did like the color and the development of the guard - purple rifles / lost in the visual execution which did not help! Good staging moments! 

Nice job so far, Colts! Trombone soloist is blowing his arse off. I wish the pink sash on the uniform popped more. Marching looks solid from my view on Flo. 

3 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Someone in another thread way back mentioned something about their unis being offensive. Not sure what that was all about. 

Yes, the uniforms use a Chinese New Year coin attached to a red tassel I believe. If they were going for a "chinese themed show" I could see why it bothered people. It's no one way or the other. Listening right now and this movement they're playing sounds very Scouts Malaguena "Arabic/Spanish" style. It's a mashup of culture. I don't wanna speak for other people like I said, if anyone from any culture feels offended by it they are entitled to their stance.

Edited by squarepush
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, squarepush said:

With the Colts show, I guess I never really saw it as cultural appropriation. It's the silk road, east meets west. I figured the different cultures (clothing fabrics, patterns, fashions, silk patterns, lantern props) were what one would find along the way and take with them on the journey. That's what they were trying to go for, I think. Although I usually try not to speak for other people. I just didn't get tone deafness with the concept. I've enjoyed this show very much all year.

Can we not with the cultural appropriation thing.  

DCI “make finals 15 corps” challenge

• Like 2

Some very strong soloists with the Colts. All very well done. 

• Like 1