2023 Season Predictions

The way I see it is:

1. Blue Devils. I believe they are going to win and possibly go undefeated again. The reason is simple - consistency across captions. The Blue Devils are likely not going to receive many 3rd and 4th place finishes, or any, across the captions. This and Boston, Bluecoats, and Crown being so good and so close together gives them an advantage. 

I see Boston as getting 3s or 4s in brass and percussion. I see Bluecoats getting 3s or 4s in brass and guard. I see Crown getting 3s or 4s in guard and percussion. I think in guard and percussion one (or more) of these three could get lower than 3rd or 4th. Blue Devils, however, will challenge for every single caption. I see Bloo with a chance to win percussion, Boston guard, and Crown brass, but their finishes in other captions are going to pull them down.

2. Bluecoats. To me, this is the best show of the three and I think they will be 2nd by seasons end.

3. Crown/Boston

4. Boston/Crown

5. Cadets/Regiment

6. Regiment/Cadets

7. Cavaliers

8. Mandarins

9. Blue Stars

10. Colts

11. Troopers

12. Spirit

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 5

My prediction since I joined this sub in 2017 is Boston for this season (the 2021 season- since we missed 2 competitive years it's 2023)

Looked like the pendulum is definitely swinging their way after finals last year too- So I stuck to my guns. They are trending in 4th place this year so far though but here we go.

Tier 1

1. BAC- Should be their year.  This show has the chops to do it but they have a lot of work to do to catch up to the rest of the top 4. Placement range 1-4

2. BD- stale show design, IMO, but it's a formula that works year after year after year for BD. Their guard and percussion are top notch and the hornline is certainly not a weakness either. They may not win a caption but they will get 2nd in most of them and have the most balanced group talent wise. Range 1-3

3. Crown- we all know this is their best show since 2016 and they deserve to medal for it. They will need to push the design until the end of the season and not let percussion be a weakness. Range 1-4

4. Bluecoats- this is a fun show with a beautiful ballad and percussion is rocking and rolling. Hornline sounds good but they need some development in the complexity of the brass book outside of the ballad to earn a medal.  Range 1-4

Tier 2.

5. Phantom Regiment- wow this is the best they have looked and sounded in 10 years. Phantom is back baby. I am also a huge muse fan and Phantom is using their more symphonic pieces well to bring something fresh to the field without losing their identity. Range 5-7

Tier 3- this could go anyway and I feel they are closer than the top 4 but I will take a go at it

6. The Cadets- forget the uniforms- they look and sound very clean and the arrangements are awesome. Very enjoyable show. Percussion and brass are tight. Range 6-9

7. Mandarins- this design feels like Cadets 2011 meets a classic Madison Scouts jazz show meets the 18/19 dark and creepy Mandarins. I think they have some of the most creative designers in DCI and they can do better. This is a great group and they will place at their highest of all time- and will hopefully be a perennial top 10 qualifier and maybe even make the top 6 in the next few years. Range 5-9

8. Blue Stars- I love love love this hornline. They balance and blend so well together and sound amazing. The show design is a lot and not something I would expect from the Blue Stars but it still doesn't really excite me. Range 6-9

9. Cavaliers- This is a pretty canned and traditional 75th anniversary show. I'm glad their uniforms are tradition inspired and their music book gives a nod to their rich history. But if I am listening to music from 2001 I want them to move like they did in 2001 and they are not. Range 6-9

Tier 4

10. The troopers- have earned a top 12 repeat. Last year seemed more powerful at the end but this has the same potential. And no the western theme is not getting old- wait until they play 1883 next year. PS I love the tubas. Range 10-12

11. Colts- this is a really good corps this year not to be discounted. The design is meh- but the group looks good and scores well. Range 10-13

Tier 5

12. Blue Knights- this show has a long way to go but they are trending in 12th by a margin now. The ballad to close is great. I don't really feel the opener. Range 11-15

13. Madison Scouts- they are back! They look pretty good and sound great. Even though they are playing sound garden it feels like the old Madison Scouts. Range 12-16

14. Spirit of Atlanta- it doesn't matter where they score. If they keep their passion and enthusiasm this is the show of the year. Range 12-17

15. Pacific Crest- this is a great show with a great group. I like the beach prop. Fun design. Range 12-17

16. The crossmen- this isn't their year to bounce back. They probably have the most work to do of this Tier to make the top 12. I like the visuals though. Range 12-18

17. Academy- with a snowballs chance I will throw the Academy onto this Tier. They sound pretty good and have been competitive in the west. They are here because I feel the show has the weakest design of this large group. Range 12-19

Tier 6

18. Music City- they won't make BLL this year but they have some great brass arrangements and a fun to watch show as always. Range 16-20 (including OC at semis)

19. Genesis- great hornline. Underrated hornline. Boring show. Range 16-20

Tier 7

Yet to compete and probably not going to score higher than Genesis

Seattle Cascades and Jersey Surf

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

BD- stale show design, IMO, but it's a formula that works year after year after year for BD. 

I really enjoyed your post. But I don't understand this comment. It's not the first time I've heard this.

Look, I hated BD when I marched and I hate them now. Well, I don't really hate them now. I've grown. I do HATE that they win all the time. 

I don't see their show design as more of the same than anyone else's. One could say Boston's show designs have been the same since 2017, Bluecoats since 2016, and Crown since 2014. Same in a similar sense. Someone could have shown me videos of Crown, Bloo and BAC out of uniform and I would immediately know who it is by the show design alone. Same with BD. They are very formulatic. All of them. They found success, so why fix what isn't broken?

I really don't see BAC, Bloo or Crown being on the same level as BD again. Bluecoats to me have the most fantastic design. Perhaps if they execute it, they could win, but I don't see BAC or Crown beating the Blue/oos at finals. 

Boston isn't going to be top 2 in brass or percussion.

Bluecoats aren't going to be top 2 in brass or guard.

Crown isn't going to be top 2 in percussion or guard.

Blue Devils are going to be top 2 in brass, percussion, guard, visual and GE. Blue Devils are going to win.

Again - predicition here. Prediction.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Love the tierlisting idea. Happy to see stuff from the gaming community cross over to the drum corps fandom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vuitton said:

Look, I hated BD when I marched and I hate them now. Well, I don't really hate them now. I've grown. I do HATE that they win all the time. 

Out of curiosity, when did you march?

Just now, Orwellian Wiress said:

Out of curiosity, when did you march?

I marched Madison Jr Scouts in the mid-80s and Scouts in the late 80s/early 90s.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

I really enjoyed your post. But I don't understand this comment. It's not the first time I've heard this.

I don't see their show design as more of the same than anyone else's. One could say Boston's show designs have been the same since 2017, Bluecoats since 2016, and Crown since 2014. Same in a similar sense. Someone could have shown me videos of Crown, Bloo and BAC out of uniform and I would immediately know who it is by the show design alone. Same with BD. They are very formulatic. All of them. They found success, so why fix what isn't broken?

I really don't see BAC, Bloo or Crown being on the same level as BD again. Bluecoats to me have the most fantastic design. Perhaps if they execute it, they could win, but I don't see BAC or Crown beating the Blue/oos at finals. 

Boston isn't going to be top 2 in brass or percussion.

Bluecoats aren't going to be top 2 in brass or guard.

Crown isn't going to be top 2 in percussion or guard.

Blue Devils are going to be top 2 in brass, percussion, guard, visual and GE. Blue Devils are going to win.

Again - predicition here. Prediction.

BD is the most talented corps on the field this year.

Their guard is top 2

Percussion is top 2

Brass is top 3

They move and play at a different level.

I would have them at #1 but sticking with BAC because it was my original preseason prediction. If I had money on it I would bet BD for the win this year and move BAC to 4. Otherwise I'd keep the ordinals the same. 

I didn't say their show was the same- but they use a similar formula every year that works for them. They have been evolving this formula with DCI since the 1980s and they have been the only corps able to do that. I respect it

I just overall think the design/theme- the cutouts is a little bland. The design of their show alone makes me hesitant to put them in their own tier at the top when the rest of the top 4 are all at an elite level and have great shows.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Their guard is top 2

Percussion is top 2

Brass is top 3

I would have them at #1 but sticking with BAC because it was my original preseason prediction. If I had money on it I would bet BD for the win this year and move BAC to 4. Otherwise I'd keep the ordinals the same. 

I didn't say their show was the same- but they use a similar formula every year that works for them. They have been evolving this formula with DCI since the 1980s and they have been the only corps able to do that. I respect it

I just overall think the design/theme- the cutouts is a little bland. The design of their show alone makes me hesitant to put them in their own tier at the top. 

Well, I'd love for Boston to win. It's always so exciting when we have a new champion and it just rarely happens. It'll be an interesting race between Boston, Bloo and Crown. 

Boston's guard is worth a Boston so for me alone. So fun to watch.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:31 AM, Adonis249 said:

What do y'all think the chances are of crown snagging gold on the 10-year anniversary of "E=Mc2." Just thought that their show was by far the cleanest I've seen this early in the season and BD's show however clean and spectacular they make it seems kinda dumb and unlikeley they'd get a threepeat. Thoughts?

BD wins, Crown is 3rd at best. Those are my thoughts.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Their guard is top 2

Percussion is top 2

Brass is top 3

I just overall think the design/theme- the cutouts is a little bland. The design of their show alone makes me hesitant to put them in their own tier at the top when the rest of the top 4 are all at an elite level and have great shows.

when they move they are running to a new spot.  when they play difficult musical parts they stand still, and when they are marching and playing it seems like they are moving in half time to the music.  looks very slow and boring when I watched it.  I know that should change when I see it live, but it doesn't change the fact that they are running more than marching, and only move when playing basic parts and nothing overly difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1