2023 Season Predictions

22 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Someone post this and it is very telling from the 'upgraded' version how Flo doesn't do any justice to the audio and visuals. Even the upgraded version is a pale comparison to seeing any of the shows live. 

Wow.  Ok that's the first time I've noticed the pattern on the silks in the closer...lulz.

Flo has had issues east with camera exposure settings leaving things too dark.    The West shows seem to be the opposite where they're not letting the colors saturate enough and leaving it washed out.

This does remind me though, from the 'leaked' videos of the opener in the preseason, I thought "oh...BD is doing color.  A LOT of color.  That...seems new."   So I am glad I'm going to see them live because frankly, I feel like this is a moment of transformation the BD design.  They don't wholesale change their design approach from year to year like some corps do, but they do introduce things that become woven into their lineage and retire other things. 

Frankly, more color is welcome from BD.  I love clever uses of color on the field (BK 14-16 was great with this) and now that BD is getting on the color wagon again with a theme of an artist that uses lots of bold color, I'm excited to see how this becomes a 'thing' with them down the road as well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Just add distortion and a flanger, and you're good to go?

Do you watch Anime? I do. They borrow from 50s and 60s jazz riffs. 🥸

The Seatbelts and Stan Kenton would make a great show combo.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

what I took away from watching boston's show on video was that it looked to me like a design that a small to midsize corps staff  would create that was being performed by a top corps.  just doesn't seem to have enough to keep up.  That all could change when I see it live and get a different read, but that's the take I got from the video

Looked similar to all current designs to me when I saw them in person in Cincy.

All the corps are designing more to the front hash these days. It's all about highlighting smaller moments instead of full corps goodness.

4 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Observe all corps the same way because they all do it...A LOT. Every corps will march and play during parts of their show, run during parts of their show, do body movements and dance during parts of their show, and stand still during parts of their show. This is nothing new and it's been working fine for everyone, otherwise they wouldn't all be doing it.

It works fine for the winner, which everyone follows, so that's why they're all doing it.

It's a current design trend, and showing multiple "skills" to a certain acceptable level of cleanliness is now the rage over doing fewer skills "more" perfectly and consistently over time.

Show you can do something, then run to the next set and show you can do that. Doesn't matter if it honors the musical integrity of the piece being played, or if it is connected or makes sense. If that happens, cool cool, if not, no worries!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Just like how country western and and heavy metal are "the same idea." 😂

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Tank ( Cowboy BeeBop) are VERY similar ideas musically. Seriously, have you ever watched anime shows and how they use these pieces of music?

I've been watching them for decades and ALWAYS thought they were musically connected. Hmmm.

ChatGPT says this:

Both Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Cowboy Bebop are popular anime series known for their unique styles and captivating storytelling. While they have distinct themes and settings, they do share some musical connections:

1. Composers: Both anime series feature exceptional music composed by renowned artists. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's soundtrack is composed by Yugo Kanno, who has created a diverse range of musical styles to match the show's various arcs and time periods. Cowboy Bebop, on the other hand, is known for its iconic jazz-inspired soundtrack composed by Yoko Kanno (no relation to Yugo Kanno), which blends various genres like jazz, blues, rock, and electronic music.

2. Influence of Western Music: Both shows draw inspiration from Western music styles and incorporate them into their soundtracks. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure often features musical references and character names based on popular Western musicians and bands. For example, characters like Dio Brando, Robert E. O. Speedwagon, and AC/DC are named after real-life musical figures. Cowboy Bebop heavily relies on jazz music, a quintessentially Western genre, which complements the show's futuristic noir setting and the adventures of the bounty hunter crew aboard the Bebop spaceship.

3. Memorable Opening Themes: Both Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Cowboy Bebop are known for their catchy and memorable opening themes. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has a tradition of unique and dynamic opening songs for each story arc, often performed by popular Japanese artists. Similarly, Cowboy Bebop's opening theme, titled "Tank!", is an energetic jazz piece that perfectly sets the tone for the series.

While the overall musical styles and themes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Cowboy Bebop differ, they share a commitment to creating memorable and fitting soundtracks that enhance the viewing experience. These musical connections contribute to the lasting impact and popularity of both anime series among fans.

Edited by jjeffeory

11 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

The Seatbelts and Stan Kenton would make a great show combo.

Wow! You might be onto something!

2 minutes ago, TOC said:

Don't go there Hook'em.

If he doesn’t go there when it comes to Cavies, we’d have to send an ambulance because something would be seriously wrong!🙂

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I like where you're going, but I'm not ready to shut any of the top 4 out of contention until they're all together at the same shows.

It seems to me that the West coast scores are 2 points too high, the East Coast/South shows are 1 point too low, maybe 2 points too low, and the Midwest is the baseline scores.

Well, you just might be wiser than I 🙂 I am calling it BD's. Boston, Bluecoats and Crown all can't finish top 2 in all captions, but I believe BD can.

I do not believe in west coast inflation. I think that has been disproved for decades. We'll see what happens at Broken Arrow, but I will be surprised if BD wins and it's close.

• Like 5