Carolina Crown 2023

It's show day - go Crown!

Oh, the constant struggles of wanting to watch the live stream with a massive time difference. 🫠

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ranitidin said:

It's show day - go Crown!

Oh, the constant struggles of wanting to watch the live stream with a massive time difference. 🫠

And we think we have it bad trying to stay up for the West Coast scores. Sometimes my Lactuca virosa kicks in too soon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

Bluecoats this year is if 2019 and 2022 had a baby. Anyone who says otherwise is blinded by bias, as we are here in this thread sometimes as well, but the Bluecoats are practically using the same field layout as they did in 2019. They've fallen trap to the "if it's not broken" crowd. 

Unlike last year, I believe Crown will layer and change, much like they did prior to 2017. Whether it'll help or hinder is yet to be seen. The bones are already a thousand times better than last year. We're in for a fun ride, kids!

We are on the exact same page about the Bluecoats show, and also about Crown too. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BWise said:

Well one weekend in .. 

BAC .. back to 2019 and another how Crown can you make a show without it being Crown  I was encouraged last year because I was beginning to see Potter et al trying to create an identity that is BAC and not so overtly underpinned by his Crown days .. and it payed off. The show is just so Crown derivative this year.

BD - Again .. I thought they pushed into new areas last year and this year it could be any BD show  Rinse and repeat  

Crown - More approachable and digestible show for sure than RHRN .. and the staging is way better. I do feel the show hits a  lull .. the opener is so emotional and powerfully and I can see where they are going with the closer. They will compete .. and we be in the top tier  .. but is there enough content to push ? 

Bloo - have not seen  yet

When there is no “the show” .. BDs win  it’s just the statistical probability.. Babylon was a “the show” .. downside up etc 

Well .. just my 2¢

BW: Historically, you’ve proven to be exceedingly prescient in your analysis and handicapping. 

Your stock trades much higher than 2 cents on DCP.

And that last paragraph re BD by default, absent something exceptional by [insert any other top tier corp here]…absolutely spot on.

Edited by nsxanax
Re-word
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Agreed — though I haven’t seen the full shows of BD and BAC yet. 

Bluecoats is basically a rehash of last years acid trip. I think it’s visually a mess. I’d love to see them pull back, focus, and edit their concepts bc they are fire when they do that. 

Crown did that this year. The show is almost too streamlined now and some changes are needed. First, the ballad kills the shows building rhythm, almost making the show boring. They need to revisit the music book and visuals.  I’d love to see them slowly build the intensity like an adiago for strings moment.  The closer def needs changes to drill to amp it up too. If they make the right changes, it’s a contender for the top. But it’s got to deliver more moments to earn the top spot. 

Disagree. That Crown ballad is one of the most exciting things on the field this summer!  I love the risk involved in the exposure and huge extremes in dynamics and nuance!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

Disagree. That Crown ballad is one of the most exciting things on the field this summer!  I love the risk involved in the exposure and huge extremes in dynamics and nuance!

The silence in the ballad is STRIKING! It's such a departure from the ballads that we've known for the past few years from Crown. It makes you lean in, and then pushes you back with the brass wall. It's a constant push and pull for me, and I adore it!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, MBo1974 said:

I want to like it; I’m struggling through it.  It’s missing something.  It’s like the part of a movie you fast forward through right now. 

Very ready to see how this show has cleaned up the past two days. If anything, I am more interested in their score tonight. Not so much to compare to other corps, but to see how well they are cleaning their own show. I watched their show from Muncie a couple of times, and you could tell Harloff got a hold of them and that they added some meat brass-wise to some parts of the second movement. I have a feeling this show will evolve quite nicely over the summer. Not sure why anyone thinks this show is destined to be what it is right now (in other threads and comments on YT). Also nice to see people slotting corps after a couple of shows, some not even having a show yet (Bloo). Nothing matters right now except feedback and cleaning until all corps get together later. Of course it is fun to compare scores from other shows, but it is not wise to make predictions based on one or two shows and different judges across the country. First indication with how Crown stacks up is this Wednesday against BAC and Bloo. Anyways, I digress. Go Crown! Kill it tonight!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Not sure why anyone thinks this show is destined to be what it is right now (in other threads and comments on YT). 

It's because so many corps are now formulaic in their approach at the top that they think Crown is going to fall into the same trend they had last year. People are refusing to see past their own window to recognize the fact that this show is an entirely different beast than it's 2022 counterpart.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

The silence in the ballad is STRIKING! It's such a departure from the ballads that we've known for the past few years from Crown. It makes you lean in, and then pushes you back with the brass wall. It's a constant push and pull for me, and I adore it!

Agree 100%. Which perfectly suits the song they’ve adapted; tension and suspension are why the Wagner overture is so famous and influential, and I know their arrangers know that and the judges probably know it too, because it’s that major of a piece. 

But Crown then goes and adds these tasty little bits of menace in the battery that make the song even more suited to their show. I love it so much.  

• Like 6