Carolina Crown 2023

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Agree 100%. Which perfectly suits the song they’ve adapted; tension and suspension are why the Wagner overture is so famous and influential, and I know their arrangers know that and the judges probably know it too, because it’s that major of a piece. 

But Crown then goes and adds these tasty little bits of menace in the battery that make the song even more suited to their show. I love it so much.  

It's probably my favorite Crown ballad since 2013. It's going to shape up nicely and sound incredible in LOS!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

I hope y’all are right. I’m concerned it’s not enough and time forfeited for higher GE and music scores.  It’s not hitting yet. 

Think of it as a successor to Star ‘93’s ballad. A lot of the same principles at play: dead space, tense harmonies, etc. Frankly the wagner is way more accessible but IMO they’re effective for similar reasons. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

It's because so many corps are now formulaic in their approach at the top that they think Crown is going to fall into the same trend they had last year. People are refusing to see past their own window to recognize the fact that this show is an entirely different beast than it's 2022 counterpart.

100% agree, there are corps that I think are rehashing what they did last year fairly hard. Crown is definitely not one of them, they aren’t asking people to wave their arms in the air like they just don’t care this time around for starters😂 Not trying to diss them too hard, I’m just being frank with my response to their show. I had quite a lukewarm reaction to it, but hearing their show this year from a few days ago, still in June and they sound like they do already, I am incredibly excited to see it. I hear some of ‘12, some of ‘15, ‘16 in there, “the Lick” is in there for crying out loud!! If you don’t like this show after listening to it, I don’t think you can be helped, quite frankly!!(that goes for a lot of shows this year imo) I’m not even trying to be biased or say that crown’s running away with anything, but just enjoy it, y’all!! Hearing some comments about Phantom’s show too, I was not jazzed about what I heard at their Concert in the Park, but from what I’ve seen in their first competition run-throughs, people on here saying they exceed Crown’s energy level and being incredibly bombastic(channeling some of that SCV sound and energy helps with that), I was skeptical, but listening to both shows simply have me going, “wow that’s gonna be crazy to hear live, I am excited!!”. Only one corps was able to get me hyped like that going into their show last year, which was ironically Phantom, who I was disappointed in my first-look of them this year!! Many corps have elevated their performance level this year and I’m very excited to see some of them in just a few weeks!

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 4

Looked cleaner and sounded cleaner tonight than in Muncie. I am going to guess 77.9, but I won't be upset to see a 78 haha. Thought I saw some new visuals tonight as well. Just keep adding on and changing what needs to be changed. That closer is nowhere close to the final version we will see and I am excited to see where they end up with it. Great job tonight Crown!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Looked cleaner and sounded cleaner tonight than in Muncie. I am going to guess 77.9, but I won't be upset to see a 78 haha. Thought I saw some new visuals tonight as well. Just keep adding on and changing what needs to be changed. That closer is nowhere close to the final version we will see and I am excited to see where they end up with it. Great job tonight Crown!

You can feel they have something extra special coming for that ending! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Damnnn you guessed that score straight!!!

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

I am going to guess 77.9

I should go to Vegas haha. 77.95 is a great score Crown!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2