Phantom Regiment 2023

14 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Difficult? Yes, Musical? That's a hard no. Especially when playing with the brass. To the untrained ear (me) a lot of the percussion writing is as described, cram in as many notes as possible without regard for what the brass is playing. IF it takes away from the brass, it's annoying. I must confess that I do find Paul Renics writing to be most tasteful and generally not over written when playing with the brass. 

So you are definitely hitting on something here. First you are definitely not an untained ear. Rennicks books are always well written to align with the brass. His books tend to be difficult but not overstated. Secondly, yeah this is the year of "RAM" in battery books it seems.

From top to bottom batteries this year are SO talent packed that it seems like a contest to see how many oddball hand speed changes, grip pressure changes, meter changes and cold attacks you can do. Listen to say....BD or Bluecoats. Packed with hard stuff. And once cleaned they will be absolutely buck NASTY. PR is a notch below those lines with the middle pack in percussion. Now listen to Colts. Understated, controlled, sickeningly clean for mid-July. And their book blends with the brass as does Bluecoats. 

I think this year for PR is a year of many needed changes. Implementing all of them essentially in one season would challenge ANY corps. It took BD like 15+ seasons to get the balance right. I think in a year or two, PR will be back in the top 3 conversation. 

I love PR. I always will. This year is one that we will look back on and say "This is where they learned to play the game instead of fighting the game." And to me, that's pretty darn cool to see. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So you are definitely hitting on something here. First you are definitely not an untained ear. Rennicks books are always well written to align with the brass. His books tend to be difficult but not overstated. Secondly, yeah this is the year of "RAM" in battery books it seems.

From top to bottom batteries this year are SO talent packed that it seems like a contest to see how many oddball hand speed changes, grip pressure changes, meter changes and cold attacks you can do. Listen to say....BD or Bluecoats. Packed with hard stuff. And once cleaned they will be absolutely buck NASTY. PR is a notch below those lines with the middle pack in percussion. Now listen to Colts. Understated, controlled, sickeningly clean for mid-July. And their book blends with the brass as does Bluecoats. 

I think this year for PR is a year of many needed changes. Implementing all of them essentially in one season would challenge ANY corps. It took BD like 15+ seasons to get the balance right. I think in a year or two, PR will be back in the top 3 conversation. 

I love PR. I always will. This year is one that we will look back on and say "This is where they learned to play the game instead of fighting the game." And to me, that's pretty darn cool to see. 

I like what you have to say. I think I’m like a lot of PR fans, I’d love to see them place higher than realistic. What you’re saying is more likely, and is, at the same time, hard to wait for to those of us who’ve been waiting for this since Turandot. Great thoughts! 😉

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, PRomoter said:

I like what you have to say. I think I’m like a lot of PR fans, I’d love to see them place higher than realistic. What you’re saying is more likely, and is, at the same time, hard to wait for to those of us who’ve been waiting for this since Turandot. Great thoughts! 😉

I think the wait is worth it....I truly do. When I first saw the Flo free show opening night my first thought was "Are those <GASP> electronics I hear??!!" That's a huge jump by itself. They're evolving right in front of our eyes. I laugh as I say that because of the whole dinosaur covering the props thing.

Every show they move up by almost a point and a half to two points. They're on track to peak in August. Get the battery cleaned and you're top 6....maybe 5th. The best part is that much like Bluecoats, you can see mm's are bought into the show and they're enjoying performing it. That's what it's supposed to be about. That's why so many of us marched...why so many fans are still fans of the activity decades later. 

You have a very nice corps PR. Absolutely ❤️ and dig you cats with all my heart. You're on my daily YouTube search list lol. See you in Atlanta!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

Looks like the mandarins May be a threat 😞

Mandi's have a good show this year. They're pretty clean especially in the battery. I don't feel like they have as much room to add and grow as PR but who knows.

• Like 1

Let’s see what Regiment has added this weekend. From what I’ve heard, a revised closer and a new drum feature for starters. I’ll repeat myself here….the additions to the Rach2 piece are gorgeous.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Let’s see what Regiment has added this weekend. From what I’ve heard, a revised closer and a new drum feature for starters. I’ll repeat myself here….the additions to the Rach2 piece are gorgeous.

I trust you!

12 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

From what I’ve seen, the closer changes are gonna be a BIG hit for everyone on here. I was ecstatic when I first saw them and they’re gonna do wonders for scores I think.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, college-phan said:

From what I’ve seen, the closer changes are gonna be a BIG hit for everyone on here. 

This says "kick out."

29 minutes ago, college-phan said:

they’re gonna do wonders for scores I think.

This says "definitely not a kick out."

Edited by kdaddy
  • Haha 2