Blue Devils in the Details 2023

56 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Anyway no comment on the particulars of this debate because living this fight over and over every year is making me feel like Bill Murray. The really interesting thing to me is that the complaints about BD today aren’t really so different from the complaints people had 10, 20, 30 years ago, IMO. I’m sure some of you remember ye olde “park and blow” complaints in the ‘90s etc.: BD never formed a corps identity around breakneck drill like the Cadets in that decade or the Cavies in the next decade; they did block rotations then and are still doing them now. Or what about the “chop and bop” complaints; people have, for literally decades, complained about BD’s music arrangements being too scattered, repetitive, technical, lacking in fully developed musical ideas, etc etc etc. 

Flaming on BD is so 2010.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

In the design department I actually know something about. I saw the show live and the props are quite familiar to me. I would encourage you to look up his 1953 cut-out called The Snail and you will see something striking and familiar. The piece is in the Tate Collection in London and is an example of his final body of works. 

I had no idea about the painting, and just looked it up. The cut-outs on the field Saturday night makes so much sense now. Brilliant. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chief Guns said:

I had no idea about the painting, and just looked up it up. The cut-outs on the field Saturday night makes so much sense now. Brilliant. 

Not a painting. It's a cut-out. It's what Matisse in the frail state of his final years could physically do, with scissors. It speaks a lot to the poem by Ludwig Wittgenstein heard recited in the beginning of the show. I have the 4K version of the opener and would be happy to share it with you. That's the thing about BD shows, it's got layers and layers of design and uncovering them is always part of the intrigue. It's why Cabaret Voltaire  (about Dadaism) was my favorite show. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Not a painting. It's a cut-out. It's what Matisse in the frail state of his final years could physically do, with scissors. It speaks a lot to the poem by Ludwig Wittgenstein heard recited in the beginning of the show. I have the 4K version of the opener and would be happy to share it with you. That's the thing about BD shows, it's got layers and layers of design and uncovering them is always part of the intrigue. It's why Cabaret Voltaire  (about Dadaism) was my favorite show. 

I just learned more from you in one comment than I did in all my years of school. 

Gotta love having a Los Angeles public school education lol. 

• Thanks 1

WHY IS EVERYONE BEING SO REASONABLE?  

Sorry,  it's just this seems rather civil for a discussion on BD.

🤣

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

20 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

WHY IS EVERYONE BEING SO REASONABLE?  

Sorry,  it's just this seems rather civil for a discussion on BD.

🤣

I'm just wondering if they used the 'good scissors'. "Mom, where's the good scissors?" 😁

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

In the design department I actually know something about. I saw the show live and the props are quite familiar to me. I would encourage you to look up Matisse's 1953 cut-out called The Snail and you will see something striking and familiar. The piece is in the Tate Collection in London and is an example of his final body of works. 

dang. where were you from 2010-2016. we were fighting for our lives over here, we could’ve used you lmao

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I'm just wondering if they used the 'good scissors'. "Mom, where's the good scissors?" 😁

I thought that line only lived in our house growing up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3