Blue Devils in the Details 2023

30 minutes ago, karuna said:

Part (IMHO a really large part) of BD's dominance lies in their (I hate this word but) "organic" approach to show design.  EVERYTHING is a sketch that is continually erased, rewritten, refined, and then polished.  It requires a great deal of maturity on the part of the performers; there's no "learning your dot and it mostly doesn't change".  Instead it's dynamic pathways and individual and constant understanding of how you as performer fit in the big picture.  Most corps are still stuck in their ways:  design the show - march the show as written - maybe small parts are rewritten but mostly it's just saving the "big change" for DCI East week and Indy.    This too can work but it's far less flexible than it could be.

Go to a rehearsal.  Better yet go to a LOT of rehearsals.  You will see exactly what I'm talking about.  

There's certainly a lot more to their success (some of which has been adopted by their competitors and some of which is routinely (and stupidly) ignored).    (god i sound like a bd honk -- GO CROWN! ) 

For a second I thought you was joining the Dark Side LMAO. 

In all seriousness, great comment brother.

And I liked what I saw from Crowns performance this weekend. 

Going to be a great year for the young men and women of Ft. Mill. 

Good luck this year!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure what is going on here?  I have read every post, and i fail to see where anyone got blasted for saying they didn’t like what we have seen so far from BD?  Differences of opinion, sure. I enjoy reading passionate commentary from people who take the time to speak their mind. And i saw push-back on a comment that a passing of the torch may be imminent. But certainly nothing disrespectful or worthy of such hurt feelings, in my opinion. 

i have seen videos of a couple of other 2023 corps, and have read reviews, and i HIGHLY disagree with some of the commentary, but i chalk it up to differences of taste. I saw some things in the BD video that didn’t hit with me, but i am convinced that that will mostly resolve itself by Indy. As Karuna pointed out, BD shows evolve organically, and what we see today will likely be wildly different in 6 weeks. And, if not, i will accept it, like i accepted the unresolved chord at the end of last year’s opener (which STILL bugs me!)

i am a BD honk but i DO like, sometimes even love, other shows. And if someone else’s show wows me, i will LIGHT the torch. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

We Shall see.. This was said last year too so... If you don't understand how BD approaches their shows for at least the last decade. It's fine to have your own opinion for sure, i welcome it. But this show is no where passing a torch to anyone just like that.

You looking at bones of a show that is partially done and i am talking about just the complete bones that is not even yet polished, which is perform for a community. every year BD does the family thing and the show for most times don't look like it's going to be competitive, because it's always sound and look so very rough, until their premier when the bones get some polishing... I am not even talking about putting meat on to the bones yet.

This year show is a fresh stick of dynamite.. If the torch is going to be passed on, well hats off to whomever it may be, but for now we don't know or see that yet, like a 2018 SCV, or 2016 BC. BD don't pass torches, you have to rip it right out of their hands. Until the season premier and unfolds, then we can have that conversation, Maybe. lol.

Much respect, but telling someone that they "don't understand" something is kinda an insult.  So if they don't like it, they "don't understand".  Maybe people understand how BD approaches their shows for at least the last decade and they still hate it.

I hated the Cavaliers last year, yet they're my favorite corps. They placed where they needed to place based on the product they put out, and they're lucky that Mandarins didn't pass them too, because they could have.

I disliked SCV last year, but I have 35+ years of experience in watching band, corps, and guard shows to have an opinion on the marching arts, and I suspect that other people do too. I also have 3.5 years of university education as a music major; so no, I decide that Computer Science and Law paid the bills better than a teacher's salary, but many of us have knowledge too.

I see the trends, and I don't like the way the visual side of the activity has panned out, but I understand why it has gone this way...

Sorry, I'm not trying to be cranky, I just wanted to like this show. I'll have to see it over the next month or so, but I'll probably be cranky still. ...and all of you who have been on here with me over the years know I complain about the same stuff, so maybe I'm insane? It's all good.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

For a second I thought you was joining the Dark Side LMAO. 

In all seriousness, great comment brother.

And I liked what I saw from Crowns performance this weekend. 

Going to be a great year for the young men and women of Ft. Mill. 

Good luck this year!!!!!

Thanks.  People just watch the end product and pontificate.  You have to see the nuts and bolts in action to understand.  I respect the heck out of BDs instructional staff.  They are very open-minded and never look away from a new idea.  Honestly it's not really secret stuff -- it's all there to see at every rehearsal. 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

. If you don't understand how BD approaches their shows for at least the last decade. It's fine to have your own opinion for sure, i welcome it. 

If the torch is going to be passed on, well hats off to whomever it may be, but for now we don't know or see that yet

Well, unfortunately, I think that’s the problem. A lot of us do know what BD’s approach is each year and have not been a fan of the approach.  Any corps with this much success should be taking the biggest chances and risks, and they don’t in my opinion.  In that area team Canton knocks BD out of the water.  I could never guess what team Canton is up to year to year but  I can probably guess what BD is going to do..  

A direct quote from probably BD’s most prestigious, arranger instructor…

“When you achieve your dreams, you need to dream more ‘

Please BD design team dream more with this seasons changes and future show choices…

by the way, I wish BD and all of the Corps a great  summer. I hope it’s the best season yet. I hope I love everybody when it’s all said and done.  

You may not think this, but I want to love every corps programs I truly do. 😊👍

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2023 at 1:07 PM, Chief Guns said:

Welcome to the Dark Side my friend. 

At your earliest convenience, stop by and visit @DWW11 she will give you a pamphlet on how to deal with online trolls as a supporter of BD.

Also make sure to stop by one of our many locations and see @saxfreq1128and @theonlyfizzle so they can give you a lifetime supply of "Hater Be Gone Repellent." It's great year around, but works best from June to August. 

Our BD Fanbase President @Cappybara is currently on vacation, but feel free to contact him anytime if you need a awesome meme or gif to shut down any and all trolls. 

Enjoy your stay!

I was worried about Cappy… he’s been quiet. 

2 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Well, unfortunately, I think that’s the problem. A lot of us do know what BD’s approach is each year and have not been a fan of the approach.  Any corps with this much success should be taking the biggest chances and risks, and they don’t in my opinion.  In that area team Canton knocks BD out of the water.  I could never guess what team Canton is up to year to year but  I can probably guess what BD is going to do..  

A direct quote from probably be BD’s most prestigious, arranger instructor…

“When you achieve your dreams, you need to dream more ‘

Please BD design team dream more with this seasons changes and future show choices…

by the way, I wish BD and all of the Corps a great  summer. I hope it’s the best season yet. I hope I love everybody when it’s all said and done.  

You may not think this, but I want to love every corps programs I truly do. 😊👍

I get what you are saying, but if it ain’t broke…

just ask Bill Belichek. Man, I can’t stand that guy!  🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DWW11 said:

He's probably fixing teeth in Indianapolis and disagreeing with me about the quality of pizza places around here ( in addition to disagreeing about BD). Hope he's well though! He's a bright spot on DCP.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Hopefully where ever he is, Cappy is living his best life. Hopefully he will chime in a couple times once the season starts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grandpa Joe said:

And that's fine, but I don't see the point of responding to someone with snark because you don't like their opinion. That's the point I'm trying to make. 

Sorry if i come off that way, that's not my intention at all. I was just making my point frankly, it's been the same same every year lol. Sorry.

• Like 2