Madison Scouts 2023

On 6/10/2023 at 7:06 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

If Madison is to move up who moves down?

Everyone below SCV is going to automatically move up this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Also have two groups coming back that can move placements around. 

Yeah, I know Blue Stars can move down a spot or two...

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

Not sure how that relates to Spirit and Cascades coming back but I guess whatever floats your boat

Oh, I'm just teasing you. Seriously though, I think Spirit shouldn't be in discussions over Crossmen, Blue Knights, Colts, or Troopers though.

Cascades are probably going to be 20th.  

Just my thoughts based on the fact that they both took time off, and that hurts.

5 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Oh, I'm just teasing you. Seriously though, I think Spirit shouldn't be in discussions over Crossmen, Blue Knights, Colts, or Troopers though.

Cascades are probably going to be 20th.  

Just my thoughts based on the fact that they both took time off, and that hurts.

When's the first Madison spirit head to head? I think that will be an interesting one to watch

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C.Holland said:

point being, we keep hearing the "these people have overstayed" but there's never real suggestions on action ideas on improvement, or even volunteering time and or money to help the team.  

I have plenty of Madison alumni friends. I won't air dirty laundry here, but this administration has hardly done anything to garner alumni support. I know people who supported the corps but no longer do because of the of this administration. Alumni support is so essential.

Please don't mistake this as argumentative or condescending - it's neither. I'm merely trying to perhaps learn here, but I really don't understand where you are coming from or how you can accept the current competitive state of the corps. To me - this is the heart of the problem - those, including the BOD, supporting an administration that doesn't seem to know how to design a show or compete.

When I marched (a top corps) it was always such a big deal the first time we saw Madison every year. It didn't matter if we beat them last year, or had already beaten a corps that had already beaten them during the current season, we were always filled with nervous excitement the first time we saw them. Now the rivals they had back then don't give them a second thought today. That is very sad. I miss Madison. I miss Madison being a competitive force. Cleary, the choice isn't financial health or competitive success. It can be both. So they are are doing a good job financially - that's great, but they have been a complete and total failure from a competitive standpoint. That's just so beyond unacceptable IMO.

I really hope they prove me wrong a few weeks. As much as I HATED when Madison beat us, they (along with Vanguard) were always the corps I respected the most, and Madison is now a non-finalist and Vanguard is gone. Truly heartbreaking on both fronts. 

Edited by DudleytheWest
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

I have plenty of Madison alumni friends. I won't air dirty laundry here, but this administration has hardly done anything to garner alumni support. I know people who supported the corps but no longer do because of the of this administration. Alumni support is so essential.

Please don't mistake this as argumentative or condescending - it's neither. I'm merely trying to perhaps learn here, but I really don't understand where you are coming from or how you can accept the current competitive state of the corps. To me - this is the heart of the problem - those, including the BOD, supporting an administration that doesn't seem to know how to design a show or compete.

When I marched (a top corps) it was always such a big deal the first time we saw Madison every year. It didn't matter if we beat them last year, or had already beaten a corps that had already beaten them during the current season, we were always filled with nervous excitement the first time we saw them. Now the rivals they had back then don't give them a second thought today. That is very sad. I miss Madison. I miss Madison being a competitive force. Cleary, the choice isn't financial health or competitive success. It can be both. So they are are doing a good job financially - that's great, but they have been a complete and total failure from a competitive standpoint. That's just so beyond unacceptable IMO.

I really hope they prove me wrong a few weeks. As much as I HATED when Madison beat us, they (along with Vanguard) were always the corps I respected the most, and Madison is now a non-finalist and Vanguard is gone. Truly heartbreaking on both fronts. 

admin solve money problems.  artistic staff handle the show.   none of this in non profit comes easy or quick.  building finances to allow the group to simply exist while getting rid of the hankering debt was a priority.  that took a very long time to fix.  otherwise this corps wouldn't exist and all these conversations wouldn't even exist right now.  

what is the true measurement of a corps success at in this age?  I would encourage you to ask a current marching member this question.  ask them their experience, their wants for the activity, their wants for themselves, and their wants for the corps.  And ask what the retention rate is of the admin.  I think the answers you'll get are very different from the gripes posted here. 

Just fwiw, its takes $1.5-3 million to get a corps across the nation safely in this era.  and that cost rises every year.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

admin solve money problems.  artistic staff handle the show.   none of this in non profit comes easy or quick.  building finances to allow the group to simply exist while getting rid of the hankering debt was a priority.  that took a very long time to fix.  otherwise this corps wouldn't exist and all these conversations wouldn't even exist right now.  

what is the true measurement of a corps success at in this age?  I would encourage you to ask a current marching member this question.  ask them their experience, their wants for the activity, their wants for themselves, and their wants for the corps.  And ask what the retention rate is of the admin.  I think the answers you'll get are very different from the gripes posted here. 

Just fwiw, its takes $1.5-3 million to get a corps across the nation safely in this era.  and that cost rises every year.   

Thanks for the kind reply. Those are good points. For me, I wanted the experience but I also wanted to win. Not everyone is like that.

54 minutes ago, DudleytheWest said:

Thanks for the kind reply. Those are good points. For me, I wanted the experience but I also wanted to win. Not everyone is like that.

well... i'm not sure how to put this so i'll just toss this statement out. 

2023 DCI (and at least the last decade) has a new era of student different from the time period you or I marched. 

seriously, please go ask current members about THEIR goals for themselves, their sections, their corps are, and their very short career as a member might be, and what they think about the activity and why they spend thousands upon thousands of dollars (we're looking at good used car $$$$ here... or even the Berklee Spain Summer music intensive for LESS than world class costs while you study much more than 11 min of music) to do this.  Especially when they only may have 1 or 2 seasons of cash which they can afford. 

I would suggest all corps (save for a very few choice corps with incredible development boards and funding programs) are simply grateful to be able to exist right now and offer training and tour experiences beyond what they got in high school.  Heck, some tour better than we do in rock n roll and theatre.  Its a sold experience to students, not necessarily a competition.  The competition is sold to ticket buyers. 

• Like 1