Madison Scouts 2023

I think DCI is better when Madison is a top-six drum corps. The Scouts in the past brought a certain excitement to the field just by entering the stadium that other corps could not match. They have a fan base that is ready to explode if they climb back into finals.

This year I see an improved drum corps. Maybe not a finalist, but improvement they can build on. I am not an alumnus, so I am not as emotionally invested as many posting in this thread. I would love to see the Scouts competitive with the top corps again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2023 at 9:08 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Finally someone says who they would go after

Isn’t Pat Seidling the corps director for BD now? Why would he leave that?

Just now, bobjective said:

I dont care who they said.  There is saying someone needs to be fired which gets you nowhere and there is this person needs to be fired so we can bring in XYZ to turn it around.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Will be interesting to see how they score Friday in DeKalb after several practice days.  Genesis & Crossmen are also debuting there.  Stage is set for Madison to make a statement by out-scouring these two.  Troopers & Colts also there, but unless something dramatic happens I think these 2 are out of reach for now.  

Yup. This will be our only in person show this year. Weather should be perfect too. 

4 hours ago, bobjective said:

He is, and has been for quite a few years. But Pat is a Madison alum and spent many years on non-teaching staff. Pat has a soft spot in his heart for his corps, plus he has a knack for bringing corps up from nearly dead (Southwind and Phantom)

• Like 2

On 7/4/2023 at 10:00 PM, Reggi93 said:

I just take exception with a ton of people seemingly expecting some miracle there instead of just supporting the corps as they turn the ship around. 

When the current leadership added girls in 2019, they sold their decision as a way for Madison to tap into another talent pool, which would make them more competitive. They've gone out of their way to spotlight the girls but the corps doesn't seem to have benefitted from the change.

It's my understanding (I don't have empirical proof) that many of the Bleed Green dedicated alumni and supporters held a funeral and buried the Madison Scouts. The new and improved(?) corps with the name of the deceased could have been named anything and had the same result. Instead, the leadership maintained the Madison Scouts' name, which may have insulted hundreds of men.

My hope is that the experiment works because the 2023 madison scouts deserve to know what it feels like to beat corps for the first time.

Since this is a 2023 thread and needs to remain focused on 2023, the question is "Does the corps have the talent, product, and instructors needed to progress competitively?". 

The constant negativity of a lot of Madison alums makes me really sad.  I, of course, want Madison to be top 6 competitive again, but as far as the Scouts fell BEFORE going coed, it's going to be a long climb.  What the org needs is for everyone to unite around them with love and support.  Regiment was able to do this - from a revitalized board, an alumni base that pulled together, and an ever improving staff - and has eliminated so much toxicity.  

If the entire Madison Scouts family pulls together and gets behind the corps, the corps can have a very bright future.  Reading this thread does not make me optimistic that the "family" is where it needs to be.  I hope that everyone realizes that before the Scouts become another corps casualty.  That would be catastrophic.

I hope the kids have a fantastic experience this summer.  It will be MORE fantastic, regardless of placement, if the entire Scouts family comes together behind them.  I'm rooting for you, Madison.

Harvey

• Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

The constant negativity of a lot of Madison alums makes me really sad.  I, of course, want Madison to be top 6 competitive again, but as far as the Scouts fell BEFORE going coed, it's going to be a long climb.  What the org needs is for everyone to unite around them with love and support.  Regiment was able to do this - from a revitalized board, an alumni base that pulled together, and an ever improving staff - and has eliminated so much toxicity.  

If the entire Madison Scouts family pulls together and gets behind the corps, the corps can have a very bright future.  Reading this thread does not make me optimistic that the "family" is where it needs to be.  I hope that everyone realizes that before the Scouts become another corps casualty.  That would be catastrophic.

I hope the kids have a fantastic experience this summer.  It will be MORE fantastic, regardless of placement, if the entire Scouts family comes together behind them.  I'm rooting for you, Madison.

Harvey

Let's not forget how ANGRY PR's alumni were after 2018.  I have scouts alum in my family so I've heard a lot of view points being expressed. I think some people are just so angry they can't see the improvements right in front of them. I also see things that are undeniably still Madison in this show. Moreso than last year or the bridge season.  I think this show has the structure to get them back to finals or at least advance on last year's finishing spot. I enjoy their show this year and hope to see them on the last Saturday night. 

• Like 1