Madison Scouts 2023

11 minutes ago, Gantang said:

When they decided to add girls, they should have let the Madison Scout brand die on the vine and revived the Capitol Sound name. 

Agreed. There's one thing Chris Komnick could do that would delight a lot of alumni . . .  change the name. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

Agreed. There's one thing Chris Komnick could do that would delight a lot of alumni . . .  change the name. 

Yes, I agree. It's not the Madison Scouts anymore on a lot of fronts.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

Who is responsible for fielding the 2023 edition?

Bingo!  You cannot separate the two. Perhaps their identity now is - “hey at least we haven’t folded yet”.  Apparently there is no bar of design and administration and instruction low enough for the right mix of people to yell - Enough!  And flush out the regime. I need to add the obligatory- I fully love and support the marching members - comment here, so I won’t be accused of hating on the kids. 

• Like 1

Have cleaned out posts that included personal contact info.  

I'm what some would refer to as a dinosaur. I marched back in the 80s and 90s and I am now getting comfortable in my 50something skin. So most would expect me to be part of the G Bugle brigade. That said...

It was long past time for the Madison Scouts to join the modern world and add girls and I think its long past due that the Cavaliers do the same. Drum corps is supposed to be a welcoming and inclusive environment and that includes ALL regardless of gender, sexual orientation etc etc...

Adding girls should not have meant the corps needed to give up their identity as the Madison Scouts. They are still the Scouts even with female members. The problem with the Scouts of recent years is that they have tried to dislodge themselves from the programming pigeonhole they were stuck in and that would inevitably lead to some uncomfortable and questionable choices. Last I checked, they were last in finals in 2017. Since then, we have had a lost season and an abridged non-competitive season so in reality we are talking about three years. The corps is still going and still putting out a good product. The last three years that they missed finals, their scores were actually HIGHER than 2017, so let's keep things in perspective. This year they are in contention for a finalist spot so it really isn't all doom and gloom....

Unless you hate ovaries that is...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

Why did you remove it? I was trying to help. Posting this information doesn't violate any of DCP's Guidelines that I'm aware of. It is public information available on their websites. The OP asked a question that the Chris, David, and Jason are best able to answer.

Doxxing. Against the rules. Be glad it was Toby. I'd have permanently banned your account if it was me dealing with the post..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's sad to see so much bashing of the Scouts.  I realize the comments are not directed at the members.  I remember when the Cadets, Phantom Regiment, and other corps were bashed pretty heavily on DCP.  Some corps members do read these posts.  Though I know there is room for improvement, this show is starting to clean up.  

Just now, dcikon2 said:

It's sad to see so much bashing of the Scouts.  I realize the comments are not directed at the members.  I remember when the Cadets, Phantom Regiment, and other corps were bashed pretty heavily on DCP.  Some corps members do read these posts.  Though I know there is room for improvement, this show is starting to clean up.  

It is, you are right. But I think the members have thick skin. Believe me, when I marched fellow members were harsher to me than anyone else. Harsh when it called for being harsh, I will add.