Bluecoats 2023

I’ve found myself enjoying bloo’s 2022 production more and more the more I listen to it, one of the more well-put together shows musically in the activity, so faithful to its source material and translating it into the medium of drum corps, the percussion section was the bridge to each moment and movement of the show, it’s no wonder they won the Sanford last year. I have no doubt that they’ll be an incredibly exciting group to watch with what I’m hearing from people posting now about their hornline going to the next level and having even more of an impact in the live performance setting. Can’t make any predictions for the year without hearing what Bloo is up to, they’re in the mix year in and year out!

• Like 3

Though I am here in Northeast Ohio, I have not seen or heard any of this show, but I will echo what another poster stated. I have heard that this is a BIG venue show. I have also heard the talent level is very high. Of course take that as you wish because Bluecoats have had a very high talent level going back many years. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If this has been discussed before, I apologize. Looking at the schedule on dci.org, Bloo’s first show isn’t until July 5th??? I know this season is shorter than usual, but why so late of a start?

20 hours ago, Maleguena1988 said:

Ok, so here is what I saw/heard…this was based upon a single run through to what they have one the field, plus a lot the smaller reps. No spoilers, only opinions  

Bigger, Louder, Faster, Higher: Anyone who is only familiar with 2022 Bluecoats performance and repertoire will not recognize much of the 2023 version. Brass Ensemble is WAY louder, and are beginning to find their “voice” as a group. Percussion/pit is on fire already, and guard has switched from being dance-centric to weapons-forward. Talent level of this group, as a whole, seems to be many notches higher than last year. Show difficulty is extremely high. Opener visually reminds me of how I felt in opener of 2016, when I could not focus on just one thing, because there was so much to experience. Brass sound has an intensity, a weight to it that has not been there since pre-covid. This is one focused group of individuals that will rock and shock the DCI fan base once they see what Bloo has be up to these last 30 days. This is a “big venue” show, necessitating a swiveling head. I feel like there is a singular goal in mind with this corps (as every year, in principle), and they have the vehicle to achieve it. Traditional Bluecoats formulas are implemented in this show, which I think will please most of the fans.

In summary, I loved 2022 Bloo because they squeezed every ounce out of that show, and achieved and competed and closed out at an incredibly high level. I think 2023 Bloo has a show that they  won’t need to squeeze so hard for it to “blossom”, and they can come out of the gate blasting away. I really can’t wait to talk to you all about first blush when you get to see it. 

"I really can’t wait to talk to you all about first blush when you get to see it."

Pardon me for drawing attention to this, but did you mean to include "First Blush" in your post? Sounds awfully like a production name in this context...

Edited by jwest5
Context

20 minutes ago, jwest5 said:

"I really can’t wait to talk to you all about first blush when you get to see it."

Pardon me for drawing attention to this, but did you mean to include "First Blush" in your post? Sounds awfully like a production name in this context...

at first blush

phrase of blush

1. at the first glimpse or impression.

Nothing implied to production. I ain’t that smart or clever. 🙂
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maleguena1988 said:
at first blush

phrase of blush

1. at the first glimpse or impression.

Nothing implied to production. I ain’t that smart or clever. 🙂

You got me good, I'm so starved for Bluecoats that I'll grasp on to anything at this point! Was looking into First Blush hostas until your burst that bubble, thought the leaves looked interesting, haha. https://www.nhhostas.com/first-blush-hosta-pp28920-4-5-inch-container/

1 minute ago, jwest5 said:

You got me good, I'm so starved for Bluecoats that I'll grasp on to anything at this point! Was looking into First Blush hostas until your burst that bubble, thought the leaves looked interesting, haha. https://www.nhhostas.com/first-blush-hosta-pp28920-4-5-inch-container/

From what I witnessed, I think they will be more than worth the wait. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crownisking said:

If this has been discussed before, I apologize. Looking at the schedule on dci.org, Bloo’s first show isn’t until July 5th??? I know this season is shorter than usual, but why so late of a start?

June 30th - July 5th is full of their Blue Way camp and a ton of community performances before they get on the road.  Probably just want to stay local and get all that stuff out of the way before competing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jwest5 said:

everyone googling "where can i stream the film "First Blush" !  

so funny.  

OTOH a google image search.....not sayin' just sayin'  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

June 30th - July 5th is full of their Blue Way camp and a ton of community performances before they get on the road.  Probably just want to stay local and get all that stuff out of the way before competing.  

Sorry, I thought the debut was July 1st? Is whatever they're putting on the 30th not the show?