Bluecoats 2023

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Oh I wasn't responding to you just in general, sorry if it came off that way 🙂

I've just noticed a really aggressive entitlement that some people feel like they're owed leaks and more information, the DCI reddit has been getting pretty......spicy in that regard.  

If people would like to see more pre season and think it's annoying and stupid how Bluecoats roll out their show that's their opinion and it's totally fine.

But if the corps wants to roll it out this way and have the day of the first show be the first time the whole thing is seen, I understand why and respect that.  And don't be surprised when a leak gets taken down, all corps do it and even high schools.  I guess the allure of a Bluecoats leak when they try to keep everything under wraps is more captivating (lord knows I've seen PLENTY of videos in my DMs and from people who trust me not to share from all drum corps), but they're not unique in getting those removed.  

I just can't wait until Saturday and we are all have a very colorful discussion about this show 🙂

Crazy part about leaks is taking what you see and hear into perspective too.   Most of them are shot on cell phone (some not the best). so you don't always get a good viewing.   I saw the Phantom concert performance (admittedly not a leak) and told my wife I hated it and didn't think I'd like their show this year.  Rewind to last night and I love almost everything about it!!!!  In the corp my son marches I almost hate that I've seen enough of the show to know where they are making mistakes or not meshing well.  Makes it so I forget to just enjoy the production as I would any other corp.  Might have been cool to see it for the first time in their first competition.   But, with that said, I still google, youtube, and reddit corps leaks because well....I'm a deranged DCI fan! 🙂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Crazy part about leaks is taking what you see and hear into perspective too.   Most of them are shot on cell phone (some not the best). so you don't always get a good viewing.   I saw the Phantom concert performance (admittedly not a leak) and told my wife I hated it and didn't think I'd like their show this year.  Rewind to last night and I love almost everything about it!!!!  In the corp my son marches I almost hate that I've seen enough of the show to know where they are making mistakes or not meshing well.  Makes it so I forget to just enjoy the production as I would any other corp.  Might have been cool to see it for the first time in their first competition.   But, with that said, I still google, youtube, and reddit corps leaks because well....I'm a deranged DCI fan! 🙂

Yes on all accounts 🫡 

4 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Oh I wasn't responding to you just in general, sorry if it came off that way 🙂

I've just noticed a really aggressive entitlement that some people feel like they're owed leaks and more information, the DCI reddit has been getting pretty......spicy in that regard.  

If people would like to see more pre season and think it's annoying and stupid how Bluecoats roll out their show that's their opinion and it's totally fine.

But if the corps wants to roll it out this way and have the day of the first show be the first time the whole thing is seen, I understand why and respect that.  And don't be surprised when a leak gets taken down, all corps do it and even high schools.  I guess the allure of a Bluecoats leak when they try to keep everything under wraps is more captivating (lord knows I've seen PLENTY of videos in my DMs and from people who trust me not to share from all drum corps), but they're not unique in getting those removed.  

I just can't wait until Saturday and we are all have a very colorful discussion about this show 🙂

I personally do think it’s really stupid to have all this secrecy for their shows, it kinda comes off standoffish to me. But I certainly don’t see the logic in getting upset at Bloo for taking leaks down, they’re entirely in their right to do that 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I personally do think it’s really stupid to have all this secrecy for their shows, it kinda comes off standoffish to me. But I certainly don’t see the logic in getting upset at Bloo for taking leaks down, they’re entirely in their right to do that 

It comes across as self-righteous and overly contrived to me.  I think their leadership thinks it builds suspense and let’s them have a surprise premiere, but I think it works against them as it makes people’s expectations be higher for the show than they are often able to deliver. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I just don’t see the point of it at all. I’m in no way connected with the Bluecoats and even I’ve seen parts of the show. People can go watch rehearsals, members tell their families, staff tell their friends, etc… I don’t know anyone personally that cares what a show title is or what a show is about or even what the uniform is (although I know some people on here care what they look like). We just care about the entire package as a whole.

• Like 1

Honestly it’d be a whole different convo if Bloo were less secretive about the actual theme/name of the show. I think that’s what trips people up. Every corps takes down videos of their shows, even after the season is over, so there’s no problem with that part. But other corps also give people a little something to look forward to. I don’t think it’s just about being entitled — people want to be excited!

And maybe the reason it ultimately seems like overkill is that telling people the name of the show isn’t really telling them much at all. It feels like such a low stakes thing to be secretive about. But! I respect Bloo doing it how they wanna do it. I’m obviously going to gobble up every leak available … But I respect the process. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

I just don’t see the point of it at all. I’m in no way connected with the Bluecoats and even I’ve seen parts of the show. People can go watch rehearsals, members tell their families, staff tell their friends, etc… I don’t know anyone personally that cares what a show title is or what a show is about or even what the uniform is (although I know some people on here care what they look like). We just care about the entire package as a whole.

I know there have been some seasons where it's closed rehearsal before first show. I was going to take students a couple years ago before the Detroit show and they wouldn't let anyone go. Phantom, blue stars, and crown welcomed all that week so they still got to see top groups rehearse

• Haha 1

It's bloo's thing now.  So it just ... is.  This year though they have the big reveal on Flo separate from a premier show.  So I wonder if they cut a deal with Flo for that sort of 'featuring' or something.  If so, then the secrecy this year also is, in some sense, a protection of their investment in setting up this feature.

14 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I know there have been some seasons where it's closed rehearsal before first show. I was going to take students a couple years ago before the Detroit show and they wouldn't let anyone go. Phantom, blue stars, and crown welcomed all that week so they still got to see top groups rehearse

They typically have had one closed rehearsal per year since 2016.  Every single other day of spring training wide open to the public, including this year.

• Thanks 2