Bluecoats 2023

4 minutes ago, Maleguena1988 said:

Yeah, true…I was talking more about the Allentown boards, other pages, futurist picking, etc. pretty quiet except here. 

Oh I took that too literally then haha. I wouldn't worry about what people predict here, Bloo is doing great!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

With scores this close at the top, ties become more likely, statistically. Just saying.

With subcaptions that go into the decimal points ties should statistically be very rare to happen at all, let alone two nights in a row...hmm

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

With subcaptions that go into the decimal points ties should statistically be very rare to happen at all, let alone two nights in a row...hmm

That was very disappointing last year. Afraid to make a call…wonder what the odds are if tying with all those decimal points?

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Maleguena1988 said:

That was very disappointing last year. Afraid to make a call…wonder what the odds are if tying with all those decimal points?

It had zero to do with “fear.” It was just very close and the chips fell on top of each other. It happens.

I generally don’t like ties but in DCI at the top I prefer a tie to a corps not getting what they have earned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maleguena1988 said:

So, over the course of the last two nights last year (semis and finals), there were a total of 22 judges (11 each night). In ZERO cases out of those 22 were Boston and Bluecoats scored identically by the same judge. Zero.

"Afraid to make a call" is not a fair assessment, imo. Each judge did in fact make a call for one or the other. And the ordinals were all over the place, as well.  It just so happened that the TOTALS of those 11 judges each night ended up being equal.

Edited to add: here's a link to last year's scores...

https://dci.org/scores?season=2022

Edited by Precious Roy
Added url to data
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

So, over the course of the last two nights last year (semis and finals), there were a total of 22 judges (11 each night). In ZERO cases out of those 22 were Boston and Bluecoats scored identically by the same judge. Zero.

"Afraid to make a call" is not a fair assessment, imo. Each judge did in fact make a call for one or the other. And the ordinals were all over the place, as well.  It just so happened that the TOTALS of those 11 judges each night ended up being equal.

It is my understanding that individual judges don't get to see what other judges are giving to a corps. So if a tie happens, it isn't some conspiracy or inadequacy by the judges. It's just some very lucky (or unlucky, depending on your perspective) math

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maleguena1988 said:

I worry more about the other way: definitely making a call, as in 2019, bloo vs bd, where a drum judge put bd up 0.3 (huge, call-making spread) and vis judge did the same, maybe 0.2, on finals. 

Absolute bs when corps are that close, basically saying “no they aren't.” This assured bd victory. It would have only taken one judge, but two? 

But hey, Competitive Inertia, right? Apparently bloo didnt have enough in 2019, adding credence to my point. 

Edited by Bruckner8
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the insightful comments! I guess my point is that if they tied ONLY Finals night, I can get behind that - would not be the first time that has happened…..two nights in a row, though????

Could it happen? Yes. 
Did it happen? Yes. 
I am a Bluecoat Color Guard Dad (‘22,‘23) so the outcome, however improbable, was a positive one.  

• Like 2