Probably a nothingburger for DCI, but...

The Bears announced a new domed stadium in the burbs. I expect the facility rental to be cost-prohibitive, but with a good lineup DCI could draw lots of Midwest fans for an early season weekend show, assuming the rental fee wouldn't break the bank.

Edited by wolfgang

There are 3 shows in Dallas / ft worth every year and if you notice no effort to get ATT stadium ! Way too costly!

3 hours ago, wolfgang said:

The Bears announced a new domed stadium in the burbs. I expect the facility rental to be cost-prohibitive, but with a good lineup DCI could draw lots of Midwest fans for an early season weekend show, assuming the rental fee wouldn't break the bank.

Kinda what we see here with the new Mercedes’ Benz stadium. DCI can’t afford it anymore and with these stadiums costing as much as they do to build, I don’t see DCI being able to afford this one either. It’s truly a shame beside the Benz is an AMAZING venue for drum corps. Even better than Lucas oil if you ask me. 

• Like 1

whatever concert that ran Atlanta this year instead of the regional probably made the venue 4-6 times the money DCI would have. I know when Hershey pulled the plug on the long running show here for Beyonce, they stated flat out in court that Beyonce brought 30,000 or so fans and the attached revenue from parking, concessions etc compared to drum corps bringing maybe 5-6000 fans.

these places are a business too. sucks for us, but it's true

• Like 1

I've always thought medium-sized college stadiums were optimal anyway. I was in Indy in 2019 and while the atmosphere was electric for semis and finals, the listening experience was unsatisfactory anywhere wider than the 35 yard line. We watched finals, which included our son's age-out performance, from the best seats we could get, which were around the 20, and really the musical experience was essentially lost. It was a visual performance only; the sound was a muddy mess. I have to assume that all the pro-sized stadiums, including Atlanta and now whatever Chicago is going to build, are pretty much the same.

I'm sure the numbers have been run a million ways already, but it doesn't seem beyond reason that somewhere out there is a sweet spot of . . . 

1. stands-to-field configuration that is optimal for drum corps (i.e., no running track)
  2. grandstand orientation (very vertical)
  3. enough seats to sell, and enough of them in optimal acoustic position (i.e. you can hear clearly outside the 35s), to make it clear the necessary revenue bar
  4. small enough that the rental fee is well below that of the big domes, so that
  5. [3]-[4]=a profit equal to or greater than the dome shows

Maybe I'm delusional. There is always that possibility.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

whatever concert that ran Atlanta this year instead of the regional probably made the venue 4-6 times the money DCI would have. I know when Hershey pulled the plug on the long running show here for Beyonce, they stated flat out in court that Beyonce brought 30,000 or so fans and the attached revenue from parking, concessions etc compared to drum corps bringing maybe 5-6000 fans.

these places are a business too. sucks for us, but it's true

There were way more people at the concert a few days later at LOS than finals. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

There were way more people at the concert a few days later at LOS than finals. 

right. because the stage will go down in an end zone, so probably from like the 15 yard line to the other side of the building you have every seat available plus field/floor seating.

drum corps you get the one side of the stands. with how shows are designed who wants to pay$50 to sit in the end zone?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

right. because the stage will go down in an end zone, so probably from like the 15 yard line to the other side of the building you have every seat available plus field/floor seating.

drum corps you get the one side of the stands. with how shows are designed who wants to pay$50 to sit in the end zone?

At most concerts it doesn't matter that much where you sit.

The sound systems are supposed to be designed so the audio is pretty much the same, even in the

"nose bleeds".

Plus, with video screens, no matter where you sit, you can see what going on on the stage.

Usually better then you see from your seat.