Jump to content

Be safe!


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Ahhhh fall in my fair home state of Tennessee. The gentle color of the falling leaves, the wildlife in their preparation for the 9 days of winter we will get. The wretched stench of the mighty Tennessee river. Oak pollen...white wood mites...hippies in their seasonal migration pattern....

Yes....Tennessee

Oh, look at the BEATNIKS !

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

We have clean water now.  So does Cape Coral.  My local Publix was a little picked over but I was able to get everything I needed.  Neighborhood looks like we were bombed.  It’s going to take some time. 

I'm actually surprised that they were able to get the water back and clean so quickly. That's absolutely a blessing. How is homeowners insurance handling everything? I know when the tree fell on my shop, State Farm was pretty quick to reply but MAN did they underestimate EVERYTHING. To remove the tree was almost $5,000 (State Farm estimated $2,400) and then they estimated the roof (4 squares of damage) at $3,500 and the first bid came in at almost 10k.

I still have to rewire and will take the time to actually upgrade and run some drops for the big CNC, Metal Lathe and Milling Machine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As an LSU grad, Tennessee is something I would rather to forget right now.  

As a UA grad, I am not much of a fan either LOL. I remember in HS going to UT Honors band and having to deal with good ol' Dr. WJ Julian. I don't know why he didn't like me but MAN did he really not like me. My brother is a physics professor at UT. 

I am probably one of those rare birds who hates college football. 4 years of the Million Dollar Band kind of burned me out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'm actually surprised that they were able to get the water back and clean so quickly. That's absolutely a blessing. How is homeowners insurance handling everything? I know when the tree fell on my shop, State Farm was pretty quick to reply but MAN did they underestimate EVERYTHING. To remove the tree was almost $5,000 (State Farm estimated $2,400) and then they estimated the roof (4 squares of damage) at $3,500 and the first bid came in at almost 10k.

I still have to rewire and will take the time to actually upgrade and run some drops for the big CNC, Metal Lathe and Milling Machine. 

The adjuster will be here in about 20 minutes.  Those who know Jim will know what I mean when I say I almost feel sorry for them. He will definitely bust some balls.  We have Progressive.  Probably over insured but I did that up north, too.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All of the surrounding towns have potable water now.  Except Englewood.  They are a mess. I don’t know what’s going on there.

I saw a lot of the linesman leaving town yesterday.  We are at about 98% here in Charlotte county.  FPL did an amazing job.  The county needs to work on their communications.  Leaving things open ended just scares the 💩 out of people.  Better to give them any kind of window or timeline than the foreboding we don’t know when answer. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

The adjuster will be here in about 20 minutes.  Those who know Jim will know what I mean when I say I almost feel sorry for them. He will definitely bust some balls.  We have Progressive.  Probably over insured but I did that up north, too.  

Excellent. I am VERY over insured as well. BUT....roofing and tree removal in the fair state of Tennessee is apparently run by the mafia because it seems to be at like 400% of the national average. The first company out and looked at it, took 4 days to send me a bid and then called me after they emailed it. I literally laughed at them on the phone. Then I called one of our local yokels had a bid within 20 minutes of their arrival at 1/4 the cost AND they re-flashed my chimney and did some work over the front door (weird little Craftsman English Cottage entrance.) The next day, 6 people showed up and went straight up ants on a cupcake on my shop and house at the same time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'm actually surprised that they were able to get the water back and clean so quickly. That's absolutely a blessing. How is homeowners insurance handling everything? I know when the tree fell on my shop, State Farm was pretty quick to reply but MAN did they underestimate EVERYTHING. To remove the tree was almost $5,000 (State Farm estimated $2,400) and then they estimated the roof (4 squares of damage) at $3,500 and the first bid came in at almost 10k.

I still have to rewire and will take the time to actually upgrade and run some drops for the big CNC, Metal Lathe and Milling Machine. 

the majority of the issue with fresh water is getting electricity back to run the treatment plants and remote transfer pumps - rarely are the transmission lines impacted.  then there is the required time to test the water, three consecutive clean samples over a set period of time IIRC.

also keep in mind everything liquid in FL requires pumps - clean water, stormwater and sewerage.  Gravity flow is very limited down there.  so even if/when the clean water can be restored, it may not have anywhere to go,

such a mess, I feel for everyone.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

All of the surrounding towns have potable water now.  Except Englewood.  They are a mess. I don’t know what’s going on there.

I saw a lot of the linesman leaving town yesterday.  We are at about 98% here in Charlotte county.  FPL did an amazing job.  The county needs to work on their communications.  Leaving things open ended just scares the 💩 out of people.  Better to give them any kind of window or timeline than the foreboding we don’t know when answer. 

I think that's always the hitch in the giddyup. The temptation of over-commit really was something happened a lot after Katrina if I remember correctly. And "over-commit but under-deliver" is a whole nightmare unto it's own. I would agree though. SOMETHING...should be said. I also think that if companies would allow, communities would come together and ASSIST. You don't have to be an arborist to help move some tree limbs. You don't have to be a landscaper to shovel debris. Get people involved in their own come back story.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think that's always the hitch in the giddyup. The temptation of over-commit really was something happened a lot after Katrina if I remember correctly. And "over-commit but under-deliver" is a whole nightmare unto it's own. I would agree though. SOMETHING...should be said. I also think that if companies would allow, communities would come together and ASSIST. You don't have to be an arborist to help move some tree limbs. You don't have to be a landscaper to shovel debris. Get people involved in their own come back story.  

Oh they’re very particular about that here.  It’s a felony if you’re not licensed in Florida.  They arrested someone yesterday around here.

Adjuster just left.  She said we need all new gutters because they’re bent.  Even fixed a soffit for us.  Said roof just needs some decorative shingles,   Lanai door.  All of the downed trees. The fence but we’re not replacing it. Going with foliage. She was fair.

Jim is scrubbing down the outside of the house today.  Mulch is stuck to everything. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh they’re very particular about that here.  It’s a felony if you’re not licensed in Florida.  They arrested someone yesterday around here.

Adjuster just left.  She said we need all new gutters because they’re bent.  Even fixed a soffit for us.  Said roof just needs some decorative shingles,   Lanai door.  All of the downed trees. The fence but we’re not replacing it. Going with foliage. She was fair.

Jim is scrubbing down the outside of the house today.  Mulch is stuck to everything. 

I need to have someone come out and clean my gutters and then do a good pressure washing. Since we haven't had a drop of rain in over a month, there is very little yard work to be had. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...