Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

14 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

pending how the group is registered as a non-profit, there is a requirement for un-earned (donated, grants) income to be a % of the total operating budget.  

Thanks - I did not know that.

I wonder if 'creative accounting' could classify a part of the tuition as "un-earned (donated, grants) income"?

25 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Mid season?  hahahaha. i've already seen a few of those in December.  There's teaching to better the performer for the life of the performer, and teaching to better the show.   The less you do of the first, the more you can do of the second.  This era of drum corps is all about the latter.  Everything taught in early camps, is pulled from the show needs. 

Your statements, lie in complete opposition of every empirical truth I have ever seen in this activity. You clearly are just projecting and not speaking from a place of knowledge. 

43 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Mid season?  hahahaha. i've already seen a few of those in December.  There's teaching to better the performer for the life of the performer, and teaching to better the show.   The less you do of the first, the more you can do of the second.  This era of drum corps is all about the latter.  Everything taught in early camps, is pulled from the show needs. 

17 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Your statements, lie in complete opposition of every empirical truth I have ever seen in this activity. You clearly are just projecting and not speaking from a place of knowledge. 

Well, at least one of seems to be incorrect.

17 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

ive already seen my own former team put up an ad for a performer.   so lie?  not so much.  and as a former staff member.  yes, we pulled every exercise for the handbook and audition packet from show materials. 

28 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Thanks - I did not know that.

I wonder if 'creative accounting' could classify a part of the tuition as "un-earned (donated, grants) income"?

likely some of it.   there may be some classification of dues as "donations", though this becomes a tricky situation.  though if they could pull that off without being audited, members could then write off their dues on taxes.   though they'd need to prove nothing was provided to the person in return. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

likely some of it.   there may be some classification of dues as "donations", though this becomes a tricky situation.  though if they could pull that off without being audited, members could then write off their dues on taxes.   though they'd need to prove nothing was provided to the person in return. 

May be how one defines 'nothing'.  Is the thrill of being on the performance field or the lifelong friendships made count as 'nothing' from an accounting point-of-view?  As opposed to instruction, food, and travel, which are 'something'.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

May be how one defines 'nothing'.  Is the thrill of being on the performance field or the lifelong friendships made count as 'nothing' from an accounting point-of-view?  As opposed to instruction, food, and travel, which are 'something'.

How does one find the reason (can’t think of proper term) a group gives for applying for non profit status. Interested as was in a group that lost theirs for a while because their reason and actual practice were 🤔

Turns out “promoting the activity” has to be more than spending $$$ on the local group and donating $$$ to the parent organization 

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

for it to be a donation, you can't receive much beyond a tiny gift. (i don't know the % or dollar amount specifically)  Such as when you give a donation to NPR, they often send you a mug or shirt or something, or when you donate to a theatre you receive some sort of gift at each level of donation.  

But when your "gift" receives a substantial tour, housing, food, etc.  i think there's an issue with that.  i'm not a tax lawyer, but the boards Ive worked alongside with had many long conversations about what they can and can't give as a gifts for donors.  Heck i've given backstage tours for large donors of a season.

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How does one find the reason (can’t think of proper term) a group gives for applying for non profit status. Interested as was in a group that lost theirs for a while because their reason and actual practice were 🤔

Turns out “promoting the activity” has to be more than spending $$$ on the local group and donating $$$ to the parent organization 

there are limits to donation amounts and write offs if you are not a properly registered non profit.