Local Corps Startup Costs?

With SCV problems see some people think that’s an opening for local corps scene to restart. I doubt it as IMO just costs too #### much and old type sponsors either can’t afford it or no longer exist.

Throwing this out to the peanut gallery. Any thoughts or real info what is needed and what would it cost to create a new local corps?

find out your facility costs.   that's your base.   How many rooms do you need?  what does the facility charge per room?  
are you feeding students at camps?

are you housing them overnight at the school or using a hotel?
are your staff volunteer?  or are you paying them at least mileage and meal costs? 

Gee no one thinking about equipment costs (horns, drums, guard stuff). That’s the first thing I thought about .

Start w/ a guard and drumline.  Perform in every local parade/festival/etc possible.  Build a local identity - get local band directors on board.  Add brass.  Go Soundsport for 1 season.  Recruit more local members.  Keep performing local, add more members, compete open class, ~10 day tour ending in Indy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Gee no one thinking about equipment costs (horns, drums, guard stuff). That’s the first thing I thought about .

you can borrow, rent, etc for the season.   but man... space is expensive and hard to get consistently. 

• Like 1

I was part of a group starting a SoundSport group in 2020 - we got close to a soft rollout/recruitment drive before COVID put an end to it.  Housing, food and travel were the big concerns.  Instruments, volunteers and staff can be done if you build relationships.  Housing, food and travel cannot.

Mike

• Like 2

What I read here is a path to a short lived endeavor. Start with a full, thorough and well researched Business Plan and plan it like a business.  If you can’t write out your plan, you don’t have a plan.  Plan well execute & rigorously.  Develop a 5 year plan from start of each year to completion.  
worrying about busses, contracts, instruments (among other things) before you’ve determined financial needs and revenue generation is ingredient to a disaster recipe.  What is your org structure?  Corps with decades of alumni struggle for support.  You’d be starting with none.  Put it all on paper first then think of what could go wrong each step of the way.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

What I read here is a path to a short lived endeavor. Start with a full, thorough and well researched Business Plan and plan it like a business.  If you can’t write out your plan, you don’t have a plan.  Plan well execute & rigorously.  Develop a 5 year plan from start of each year to completion.  
worrying about busses, contracts, instruments (among other things) before you’ve determined financial needs and revenue generation is ingredient to a disaster recipe.  What is your org structure?  Corps with decades of alumni struggle for support.  You’d be starting with none.  Put it all on paper first then think of what could go wrong each step of the way.

I wasn’t thinking of starting a corps. I WAS trying to get an idea of costs involved and where the costs would come from. NO idea how this went so far off the rails.

Lot of people I see on social media are thinking local corps would be so cheap they would be easy to create from scratch. . 🤦‍♂️

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I wasn’t thinking of starting a corps. I WAS trying to get an idea of costs involved and where the costs would come from. NO idea how this went so far off the rails.

Lot of people I see on social media are thinking local corps would be so cheap they would be easy to create from scratch. 🤦‍♂️

Not off the rails.  This has been discussed many times.  But as you said, some people think it would be easy.  They haven’t thought it through. Some of your most basic needs are instruments and uniforms/costumes, equipment for guard.  Where you perform dictates logistics of transportation, busses and your own vehicles (owned or leased/rented) housing, food,   You also have salaries of paid instructors, admin and operations staff.  Insurances.

Things that don’t cost? Volunteers, donated office space.  
There are a few corps that started not so long ago that can tell you what they have spent the last few years.  The Battalion is one.  It isn’t inexpensive but a problem is maybe a corps starts with no finances at all in place. They are playing finance catch up from day one.

• Thanks 1