BDB Director - Foothill band director charged with inappropriate conduct against minor

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

Well, they "say" he left on his own in October but the arrest was made in December. I'm no law enforcement professional but I feel like police don't like to work slowly in these situations when said offender is in daily contact with minors. It could go any way but maybe he resigned from BD in October because he thought something was coming up from his past but kept it secret from his current employer. In any event, resigning from BD in October is sort of odd timing with planning for a new season ramping up by that time.

And investigations can take awhile before formal charges/arrests are made. Possible that he and others knew of the investigation in October or before

11 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bsrawyeij7exrxd9v4d

I have similar questions as @84BDsop. Who knew what and when? Same still goes for Shadow (RIP), honestly.

BD's policies on the matter are pretty air tight. But, like many of the policies I've looked over across the industry, there are crucial gaps. As in, yes, great to include Cali law about mandated reporting, and yes, I hope SafeSport covers it a little more. But being placed in that situation and actually handling it quickly and without drama or getting flustered is another thing. (And to be clear, I'm not accusing BD of anything here! Just dissecting the policy for group benefit.)

That goes for all policies aimed at protection, and is why prerecorded or written training is not sufficient.

Policies protect the org, procedure well-executed is actually what protects the kids. I haven't seen BD's policies in action so no comment there.

https://bluedevils.org/about/policies/youth-protection/youth-protection-policy.pdf?v=2022-02-14

I have high hopes for SoA's new robust policies, but given my unique experiences in the industry, I still see potential gaps there and in BD's work. This is not to downplay either of their efforts, but be a splash of cold water to the face. Diminishing the routes by which predators gain access to vulnerable youth is an unending process.

https://www.spiritofatlanta.org/news/reorganization-update

Big picture observation-  Problem is that all the policy in the world doesn’t matter if it isn’t followed.  Until someone working with a Corps who has an inappropriate relationship with a Corps member goes to jail, along with any higher-ups who covered-up & didn’t report nothing will change.  Consider the case of GH - in Tricia Nadolny’s articles she interviewed both Cadets members & YEA staff who were assaulted over a period of decades.  But the legal system, sentenced him to a fine & probation.  (Yes, I know there were jurisdiction issues as well as statute of limitations issues). IMHO, this is one reason people still think that they can get away with it.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yup. Sort of like ‘If you build it, thy will come’.  

I'm a lawyer and this person is "charged" with a crime. He's not convicted. BIG DIFFERENCE......not saying he's innocent but let the facts run the course before we hang people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Corps without a robust policy and training procedure aren't listening to their alum survivors. Periodt.

Predators don't stop knocking on the door... ever. You have to build strong fortification and improve it constantly so as to minimize risks and remove members from unsafe situations as quickly and compassionately as possible. At least SoA has a singular roll in charge of safeguarding now. Not sure why other corps don't hop to, seeing as SoA now has the highest standard policies and staffing on the matter.

Well a group could have proper policy and training (both are important, not downing your point) but… if the people in charge don’t think it’s important then nothing will really happen. And heaven help you if the “good old boy” network is in place (DCI like that? 🙄).
That’s why DoD would give you a secondary contact to report. This contact was outside of the agency you worked at so no conflict of interest. That’s in case the primary would ignore or even worse be the abuser. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I'm a lawyer and this person is "charged" with a crime. He's not convicted. BIG DIFFERENCE......not saying he's innocent but let the facts run the course before we hang people.

Absolutely.  The justice system will sort this out.  But, at same time it is important that he is removed from positions where he is working with minors.  And, to their credit, both BD & school district have done this. Err on the side of caution I suppose. 

But, counselor, a question for you:  If he (or anyone) facing these charges is found not guilty, would they be reinstated, or at least paid for the forced time off?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english
  • Like 2