12 Corps Of Christmas - 1978-1982 Guardsmen

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Nope.   I did high school marching band in 1974 and 75.   It was summer band back then.  I decided to march drum corps again in the fall of 1975 after I graduated from high school. The commercial was made in 1975.  I was there in 76 though.  We never heard the end of it.  People yelling chicken when we came on the field 😂.  It was all in good fun. 

Things like the KFC commercial to raise funds is something Corps today should emulate, rather than, say, basing most of their budget on bingo.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Things like the KFC commercial to raise funds is something Corps today should emulate, rather than, say, basing most of their budget on bingo.  

I don’t think they got a lot of money for that, from what I was told.  They did get free chicken, however. I used to eat KFC decades ago but I found some of the pieces to look somewhat different than a typical piece of chicken. . I used to say I was eating the fried mouse. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

We did have a Hampton Inn commercial with a generic winter guard family. Would have been a great opportunity for WGI marketing. 

• Like 1

I the honor of marching with some 78-82 GM hornline vets in SCV ‘84 (their age out year); they got to do “one more time with Salzman” and get him his first Ott Trophy. Andy (our head DM) was incredible at vocal commands. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TRacer said:

I the honor of marching with some 78-82 GM hornline vets in SCV ‘84 (their age out year); they got to do “one more time with Salzman” and get him his first Ott Trophy. Andy (our head DM) was incredible at vocal commands. 

I know Bob Callahan and Mitch Hagopian were there. But that was 1981.  I think. The years all go together after a while. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

23 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I know Bob Callahan and Mitch Hagopian were there. But that was 1981.  I think. The years all go together after a while. 

Bob C marched ‘81 and was on our visual staff in ‘84; great guy. 

Edited by TRacer
added wordz
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Salzman is a genius.

And a heck of a human being from what I read on his DCI Hall of Fame profile:

"[Salzman] was teaching us that the work is more important than the trophy," Westman explained. "On one of the water breaks that he gave us, seeing that we were all physically exhausted, Tim came down to the field, stood by the water jugs and individually served each of us. He handed us our cup of water, he looked each member straight in the eyes and said, 'Thank you.' Perhaps it was a small gesture, but it's one that has stuck with me for almost 25 years."

https://www.dci.org/static/timothy_salzman

• Like 1