good/bad on controversial support

26 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Sounds like a great suggestion to me . There was nothing “ generic “ about this . It was not even an oblique reference . You know what you were doing with this 2nd thread after your first one was deleted by the mods for community guideline violations . You also know what Corps this was basically referring to . 
 So yes , your suggestion to shut this 2nd topic down now makes sense , imo . 
 So just do it , and stop your  threat to others of such . Do it , and move on with it for heavens sake 👍

So I read about BC getting donation from someone that is considered controversial by some. I start thinking about how could this affect other corps if it happens to them. BUT GOD FORBID I ASK ABOUT IT. Kicker is I didn’t  ring up the corps name, others did. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

PS I never had a thread deleted. There were posts removed from the Crusaders 2023 thread from myself and others and that was it. If you want to slam me, let’s get the facts straight 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So I read about BC getting donation from someone that is considered controversial by some. I start thinking about how could this affect other corps if it happens to them. BUT GOD FORBID I ASK ABOUT IT. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

This is how I saw it. And as someone whose corps was just dragged through the mud for the last month, I'm the first one to advocate for info sharing and learning from each other. You'd think fans of BAC, an incredibly successful underdog org, would want that too. One might imagine that their mighty rebound occurred, in part, because they got dang good at  learning from the past and info sharing.

The scarcity mindset in drum corps nonprofit prompts fans to hide every single crack in orgs' armor. I get it. But that's not how we grow and it's not how any of us learned the discipline and art of drum corps.

Edited by scheherazadesghost

13 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The scarcity mindset in drum corps nonprofit prompts fans to hide every single crack in orgs' armor. I get it. But that's not how we grow and it's not how any of us learned the discipline and art of drum corps.

I worked IT for 40 years, mainly in programming, database and Unix system administration. This included set up from scratch, maintaining, overhaul with new technology and fixing problems as they occur. The only way to be able to do this is to fully understand the whole picture. And the ONLY way to understand is to ask questions. If it bothers people that I can be a PITA asking questions (on a discussion board yet 😱) , well tough. Lol you can join the contractors, management and a few Navy officers I wizzed off by asking..

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This is how I saw it. And as someone whose corps was just dragged through the mud for the last month, I'm the first one to advocate for info sharing and learning from each other. You'd think fans of BAC, an incredibly successful underdog org, would want that too. One might imagine that their mighty rebound occurred, in part, because they got dang good at  learning from the past and info sharing.

You are operating under the misconception that this award to Inspire Arts was somehow being hidden as a crack in the armor.  This is factually incorrect, since it was Inspire themselves who released the photo on FB showing the oversized check for $50,000 being held by, among others, a rep from Chick-fil-a,  the Boston CEO, Business Manager, oh and btw, two kids wearing feather boas!  There is no angst here about this.  It is a good chunk of funds going directly to an under-served and quite diverse population.  As for Gen Z, I spoke to 2 of them today while they were waiting for their flights...they both are thrilled at this news.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And the ONLY way to understand is to ask questions.

It's also the only way to clean a colorguard effectively. Not hey weirdo, that's wrong fix it, but hey, what's up over there and how can I help us improve? Or it's the only way improve the clarity of one's mission. Or improve code. Or make sure your philanthropy went to the right place. 🤷🏽‍♀️

23 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So I read about BC getting donation from someone that is considered controversial by some. I start thinking about how could this affect other corps if it happens to them. BUT GOD FORBID I ASK ABOUT IT. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

PS I never had a thread deleted. There were posts removed from the Crusaders 2023 thread from myself and others and that was it. If you want to slam me, let’s get the facts straight 

Ok .. the 2023 Boston Crusaders thread was not “ deleted “. I should have posted the more precise  “some  comments “ were .  I did not “ slam “ you . That’s imprecise wording as well, imo . But … whatever  . 

Edited by Boss Anova

35 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

There was nothing “ generic “ about this . It was not even an oblique reference . You know what you were doing with this 2nd thread after your first one was deleted by the mods for community guideline violations . You also know what Corps this was basically referring to . 
 me 👍

What I quoted was not even close to my intent. But that didn’t stop you from accusing me of things I didn’t say or mean. IMO that is the “slam”.

I tried very hard to word the initial post to show that this could affect any corps. For whatever reason you took it as an attack on BC. Later posts I repeated this was not directed at any one corps but you and possibly a few others must think I’m lying as you don’t believe it. IMO you’re trying to protect your corps from a non-existent attack

• Like 1

The reality of it all is that NO donation comes free of a cost to the recipient – there are always “strings attached”.  Even the hundreds of dollars I give to three different drum corps comes with my “strings” that they use my money wisely, treat their people well, act respectfully/professionally, etc.

Chances are that any corporate or philanthropic donation will come with at least the “strings” that they can use the name of the recipient or recipient organization when patting themselves on the back for all the good they do in this world.  As such, it attaches the recipient or recipient organization to the corporation or philanthropic organization that gave the money – a “soft”, assumed acceptance of that corporation’s/organization’s positions on those important things in life.

And there’s big difference between the concept of accepting “free” funds from a group your morals don’t align with and being paid for work performed in a country with a bad human rights record.  In the first case you’re helping hide the ills of the source of the finds while there are times when the second scenario would result in being paid by a bad regime to support those that the regime is harming.

Thank you scheherazadesghost for focusing this on aligning a recipient's fundraising efforts to their “clear, intentional mission, vision and values”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep to fifer, imo someone is going to be offended or PO’ed no matter where any money comes from. The hard part for the corps is how to handle it if/when complaints come in. Never worked public relations but can’t see where telling people they have nothing to complain about is a smart move.
And that’s on topic…

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1