good/bad on controversial support

Just now, greg_orangecounty said:

Has any corps ever turned down a donation or support because the benefactor was "controversial"?  

I'd be surprised. 

Good question, and if they did who was the donor and why was it turned down. 
Guess I should have started with “how should a corps handle it if they catch crap about a donation”. IOW more of a PR issue.

33 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Kentucky Fried Chicken and Colonel Sanders himself even made an appearance. I remember that commercial (yeah I’m old) but I don’t remember any controversy with KFC. 🤷🏻

I believe there is a current active DCP poster who marched Guardsmen that season.   Perhaps she is willing to provide some insight.  

8 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Has any corps ever turned down a donation or support because the benefactor was "controversial"?  

I'd be surprised. 

Don’t believe so . Corps are far more concerned with the hundreds of alums and long time donors who no longer donate or volunteer their time , etc  than doing background checks on donors to ascertain their worthiness to accept or reject their generosity .

Edited by Boss Anova

19 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

It is DCI itself that is attempting to regroup and rebrand itself due to the loss of long time sponsors ,  school facilities , and access to youth groups , etc and the like due to having highly dubious and “ controversial “ people of low character involved in DCI Drum Corps . We are not in a position to sit in any high and mighty position of looking at donors , when the bigger  issue is cleaning up our own house from the mess created by others we had running things for decades . 

it was a question...thats all.

Edited by GUARDLING

31 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Guess I should have started with “how should a corps handle it if they catch crap about a donation”. 

You just saw it .

They noticed it was 3 or 4 folks on DCP and dismissed it as essentially a Nothingburger . 
 I have yet to see any Corps “catching crap about a donation “. 

The only thing that comes maybe remotely close to a “ controversial donation “ receipt might have been the Bill Cook donation of a million dollars of his own money as seed money to start up a new Corps out of his state of Indiana back in the early 1980’s . I thought that criticism in a few quarters was silly too at the time .

Prior to that I do recall a corps or two in the 1950’s and 1960’s that routinely received generous donations from folks with known ties to the Mob , but even then , the Corps were happy to get the needed money and so they never got “ any crap about the donation “ either .
 Like I said , aside from 3 or 4 folks on here , the background of generous donations to Corps is essentially not an issue of any note , imo. As I said , the far  bigger issue for most all Corps are those( like many Alums )  who no longer donate a dime and/ or never did to begin with . 

Edited by Boss Anova

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I believe there is a current active DCP poster who marched Guardsmen that season.   Perhaps she is willing to provide some insight.  

Plus there is a pic in History of DC Volume I. Think I know who you mean

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

You just saw it .. lol 

Be honest, people would still beotch that I’m pointing the finger at BC.  Yeah I said goodbye but I don’t get your point. And I’m still in PITA asking questions so I can understand stage

or are saying corps should handle crap about donations by basically telling people to shut up as it’s the corps business? If that, what comes first… shut up its corps business or.. thank you for your donation 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

22 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I marched that season but I’m not in the commercial.   The only thing I remember is someone yelling chicken at us when we were on the field. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3