Play for pay?

11 hours ago, ykw said:

Don't Corps get appearance fees for participating in Memorial Day and Fourth of July parades? 

I doubt the Reading Buccaneers perform in five separate Baltimore area Fourth parades (Dundalk, Towson, Arbutus, Catonsville, Bel Air) all for free.

yes but the number of parades that pay any kind of decent amount has gone down drastically. i'm amazed the MD gigs still do it

11 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I paid $2,100 for 14 members of the USC Trojan Marching Band to show up and play 15 minutes at my daughter's wedding reception.  No equipment trucks, staff, or "design team".  They just showed up in uniform with their instruments, played and left.  We loved it (granted we are USC family)!  75% of their operating budget for a 275 member band comes from donations and play for pay gigs.  Why Drum Corps don't make this a regular habit is beyond me as other have and do. 

"we only know 3 notes"

come on you know the melody 🙂

5 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Ha ha!  Thanks for the welcome.  Talk about frequent flyer miles about to rack up!  

come on in to Happy Valley! you'll love the tailgating

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I paid $2,100 for 14 members of the USC Trojan Marching Band to show up and play 15 minutes at my daughter's wedding reception.  No equipment trucks, staff, or "design team".  They just showed up in uniform with their instruments, played and left.  We loved it (granted we are USC family)!  75% of their operating budget for a 275 member band comes from donations and play for pay gigs.  Why Drum Corps don't make this a regular habit is beyond me as other have and do. 

Hope they performed "Tusk"? 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Hope they performed "Tusk"? 

They sure DID do TUSK!!!  The price included three Song Leaders too.  I wanted more but................(wife)

"u-c-l-a SUCKS"!!!!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

There are a couple of videos on youtube of a USC Marching Band ensemble playing at a wedding.

There's also a really good video from I believe 2015 of Lindsey Buckingham playing Tusk with the USC

marching band.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes but the number of parades that pay any kind of decent amount has gone down drastically. i'm amazed the MD gigs still do it

Really, wish I knew who all was sponsoring when I did them 15 years ago. What 5 parades in one day and figure some sponsors were paying $$$$ in more than one parade. Well 5 parades on the 4th and Havre de Grace on another day. Only sponsor I knew for such was Mars Supermarket chain. And they had their own “float” (guy in Martian costume standing on flat bed semi trailer)

Apple Blossom parade in Winchester VA is another big one but lot of school bands. No idea where corps money (only 1 corps now) comes from. Figure lot of local businesses (wonder how COVID hit them) as they make almost a week out of the festival 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

32 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

There are a couple of videos on youtube of a USC Marching Band ensemble playing at a wedding.

There's also a really good video from I believe 2015 of Lindsey Buckingham playing Tusk with the USC

marching band.

This isn't that one, but I like it better.  F.F. to 3:00.  My point in posting is that Drum Corps needs to start making some money.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

"we only know 3 notes"

come on you know the melody 🙂

Yup!  (FF to 2:00).  Can't wait to go to a game at Happy Valley!!  I like Penn State fans from my experiences with them at a couple Rose Bowls.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Really, wish I knew who all was sponsoring when I did them 15 years ago. What 5 parades in one day and figure some sponsors were paying $$$$ in more than one parade. Well 5 parades on the 4th and Havre de Grace on another day. Only sponsor I knew for such was Mars Supermarket chain. And they had their own “float” (guy in Martian costume standing on flat bed semi trailer)

Apple Blossom parade in Winchester VA is another big one but lot of school bands. No idea where corps money (only 1 corps now) comes from. Figure lot of local businesses (wonder how COVID hit them) as they make almost a week out of the festival 

When I was teaching an open class corps sometime in the late 80s early 90s, we performed three parades & a standstill at a local mall.  It made for a long day that seemed more tiring than a normal rehearsal day.  But the kids were pumped!    

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1