March Madness DCI Edition

8 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I prefer 2012 over 2013 as well. 

But I will admit, Crown earned that maximum brass score they received finals night. 

They earned it in 2012 but Brandt Crocker announced it wrong at finals.  I was assembling a posse with pitchforks and torches but they fixed it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They earned it in 2012 but Brandt Crocker announced it wrong at finals.  I was assembling a posse with pitchforks and torches but they fixed it. 

I remember that. I love BD, but even I questioned that until he corrected it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

Interesting tournament results! Thanks for arranging!

The things that surprised me most:

• How far SCV 1998 made it. Great show, but...
  • How close Cadets 1985 vs Cadets 1990 was (19 vs 17 votes). Cadets 1985 is a masterpiece and the perfect endcap on their 3-peat.
  • SCV 2017 beating Blue Devils 1986, wow! But then, pleasantly surprised Stonehenge slid past SCV 17.
  • Fairly surprised that Cadets 93 beat Babylon. I agree with it, just surprised.
  • I like Spartacus a lot, but I groaned a bit that it beat Cadets 84 so handily.
  • Some votes for Cavies 05, against PR 89?? 😋 Interesting. But then, kind of surprised how easily PR 89 beat SCV 99.
  • Also, some votes for BD 07 up against Star 93?? WOW. (Sorry, just can't get into much of BD 07)

Nice comments. In a tournament like this we could run this not just once a year but even 2 or 3 times a year and every time it will come out differently. There are so many variables. Who gets paired with who, who is voting and how they see the shows, age and experience of the person voting and what shows they have seen live, personal favorites, and on and on. Do you vote on performance levels, entertainment levels/iconic status, your favorites, or perhaps are you voting for the most innovative shows? I found myself considering all of those things. For example if the criteria was to only vote on excellence in all captions (even if you did not like the show) then the results would be different but you would still run into the difficulties of comparing 80s shows to some in the 2000s or beyond. 

Just setting up the brackets takes a lot of work. How do you really rate corps from the 80s or 90s with those from the 2000s and 2010s? I appreciate all the work that went into setting this up. Definitely ready to hear some live corps this summer. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

Yeah, Phantom 1989 comes to mind. Santa Clara 1987 also comes to mind. Star of Indiana 1993 goes without saying. Blue Devils 2008, maybe 1984 too. Bluecoats 2019 would absolutely be on that list. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Phantom 1989....done

Cavies 2003, 2010, 1990, 1991. 

And I have to give a shout out to Crown 2009. I admit that I haven't been a fan of Carolina Crown shows as of late, but 2009 Crown was an awesome show. 

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Yes.... and Cavies 1990

Between the second place shows, I would say Cavies 1991. 

• Like 1